Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: More tax...
Slimy38

posted on 17/11/22 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
More tax...

quote:

The Chancellor has announced electric vehicles will no longer be exempt from Vehicle Excise Duty from April 2025 to make the motoring tax system "fairer".

Half of cars are predicted to be electric by that point, Hunt said, adding that company car tax rates would remain lower for electric cars.

I saw this coming years ago. There's no way they could make cars fossil fuel free by 2040, but not then get tax from somewhere.

coyoteboy

posted on 17/11/22 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect a backlash and a drop in EV sales.

cliftyhanger

posted on 17/11/22 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:

The Chancellor has announced electric vehicles will no longer be exempt from Vehicle Excise Duty from April 2025 to make the motoring tax system "fairer".

Half of cars are predicted to be electric by that point, Hunt said, adding that company car tax rates would remain lower for electric cars.

I saw this coming years ago. There's no way they could make cars fossil fuel free by 2040, but not then get tax from somewhere.

The big issues on EV tax are company car tax, and also fuel taxation. And fuel tax is very hard to do on electricity.

gremlin1234

posted on 17/11/22 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
but will the tax affect the cars already on the road, or just new ones from april?
previously when car tax rates have changed, they keep the bracket they started in, hence my daily car is still £30/year,

if this is the case, now is the time to buy an electric car...

gremlin1234

posted on 17/11/22 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
separately from my above reply,
did you know charging at home attracts the 5% fuel vat,
whereas commercial charge points attract 20% vat.

David Jenkins

posted on 17/11/22 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
As an EV owner, I knew that it was bound to happen eventually. If it's like previous road tax changes, it will only apply to cars bought new after a set date (unless they get really nasty - but I wouldn't be totally surprised if they try that trick).

I can't see how they can get tax for EV 'fuel' - for example, during the sunnier days of the year, our cars mostly get charged from solar PV. The only possible way is tax per mile, which would be a logistical nightmare to enforce.

cliftyhanger

posted on 17/11/22 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

I can't see how they can get tax for EV 'fuel' - for example, during the sunnier days of the year, our cars mostly get charged from solar PV. The only possible way is tax per mile, which would be a logistical nightmare to enforce.

That may be very easy to enforce. There are plenty of "black box" insurance policy holders, and that gives all the info was well as speeds. So not a big jump to black boxes being mandatory. No need for speed cameras then either, the box can self-report.

cliftyhanger

posted on 18/11/22 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
As an EV owner, I knew that it was bound to happen eventually. If it's like previous road tax changes, it will only apply to cars bought new after a set date (unless they get really nasty - but I wouldn't be totally surprised if they try that trick).

Just reading this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63671302

Cars registered after April 2017 will indeed be paying VED at the same rate as ICE cars.
New EVs will get a reduced rate for the first year only.

David Jenkins

posted on 18/11/22 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
They have also said that EVs will be liable for the "luxury vehicle" tax, for anything over £40k - which covers many EVs at the moment. As one commentator has said, look out for EVs with a list price of £39,995 when the deadline comes along.

This is where the Chinese car makers will clean up, with cars like the MG4 and the Ora Cat, which are both well below £40k in decent spec. Their manufacturers are already very experienced in making small, reasonably-priced EVs - if the European makers don't pick up their game then they are going to be in serious trouble (correction - more trouble than they're already in).

[Edited on 18/11/22 by David Jenkins]

coyoteboy

posted on 18/11/22 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest uk road tax is buttons compared to other European countries. I pay 80 quid a month for a 12 year old petrol car here in Holland.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 19/11/22 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I suspect a backlash and a drop in EV sales.

Initially yes, very, very briefly.

I'm cynical, remember, which means I see a *massive* hike in fuelled-car taxation, both vehicle and fuel. This will be accepted by the masses, because it's addressing the Climate Emergency. Car ownership will be a thing of the past, EVs on a lease being the only option, but only for the wealthy.
More extension leads from various countries will charge the cars, heat homes, keep 'Strickly' running and so keep the sheeple happy, without the planning and financial bother of infrastructure. The future's bright, but 'Green'.

My usual cynical view, that of a dinosaur, about to go extinct (I think I am already).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.