Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford TPMS
mcerd1

posted on 21/11/22 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ford TPMS

I've been looking for a new tin-top (ie. 6+ year old) and ended up looking at C-max's again mostly cause the price of s/h cars is crazy and the ones I'd prefer seem to be incredibly rare outside of greater London and even then have more miles on them than a trip to the moon and back

All the ones I've been looking at seem to be fitted with TPMS, but as someone who likes to run a second set of all seasons as my winter tyres and often swaps them front to back at the same time

so whats the best way to deal with this ? / can I just turn off the whole system ?

-

Quinten

posted on 21/11/22 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
My wife's 2014 Fiesta has TPMS and we had no end of errors on it due to the age. Seeing as the tyres are fine and I regularly check pressure I thought it was a little too annoying to keep on acknowledging the same error over and over again, I disabled the whole TPMS system using Forscan. No more issues and a happy wife.
HowardB

posted on 21/11/22 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
"happy wife"?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

gremlin1234

posted on 21/11/22 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
ford around that time used 2 different methods of tpms
the earlier one being counting via the abs rings to see if one wheel moved at a different speed.

the later version has a transmitter in each tyre, transmitting the pressure and temperature? of each tyre.
there is a procedure for resyncing the sensors, but if you dont care about knowing which corner is at fault the system should learn after a few miles. I think it may even learn each wheel, but I haven't looked that closely, but it could do this with a receiving antenna adjacent to each hub

note the sensors only send when they detect some movement, which is why their battery can last so well

you can turn off the earlier systems, but the system became mandatory for M1 cars registered after November 1st, 2014.

https://www.schradertpms.com/en-gb/company/press-room/tpms-legislation-overview-eu

[Edited on 21/11/22 by gremlin1234]

Rallychris

posted on 22/11/22 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
If you look at the valve stems on the wheels it will give you a good indication if the car has ABS based tyre monitoring (single piece rubber valve stem) or a TPMS sensor in the wheel (larger dia metal stem with normal valve stem sticking out of it).

Robin Hood 2B Mazda Project Started March 2021

adithorp

posted on 22/11/22 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rallychris
If you look at the valve stems on the wheels it will give you a good indication if the car has ABS based tyre monitoring (single piece rubber valve stem) or a TPMS sensor in the wheel (larger dia metal stem with normal valve stem sticking out of it).

Except Ford ones have a rubber valve stem on the sensors they use.

You can get cloned sensors fitted to your second pair of wheels and the ECU then doesn't know the difference

[Edited on 22/11/22 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Rallychris

posted on 22/11/22 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by Rallychris

Except Ford ones have a rubber valve stem on the sensors they use.

Apologies, so it seems. Nonetheless, looking at images online the Ford type has an enlarged black plastic stem that steps down to the thread for the normal valve cap. It also won't be flexible like a normal rubber valve.

Robin Hood 2B Mazda Project Started March 2021

adithorp

posted on 22/11/22 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
No size variation on the ones I've dealt with and they're rubber. They are slightly stiffer as a thin extention of the brass part continues through the centre, to where the sensor screws on. Another give away is how slow they deflate when the valve core is removed, compared to normal valves.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

obfripper

posted on 22/11/22 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
You can also tell by pushing the valve stem towards the tyre, it will stop before touching the wheel due to the sensor assembly touching the inside of the wheel.
The schrader replacement stems are visually the same as standard rubber valves, they should be replaced with new tyres but alot of places don't keep them so don't replace them.

There are manual ways of programming new (genuine) sensors on fords (method varies according to model/key/keyless), that require you set a programming mode then inflate/deflate tyres to trigger an output which requires no special tools but is fiddly, or you can get a cheap trigger tool from ebay which will do the sensor triggering instead and allow you to program sensors with less hassle.

The universal/clone sensors require a special tool to program id/type to the sensor before programming to the car, they are generally ok, but i have had issues with them on certain car makes where the sensor output will drop out and cause the light to come on randomly, they can be a total pain to diagnose where this is the case.

Dave

mcerd1

posted on 23/11/22 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
thanks all - defiantly given me some ideas on how to deal with it

all going well I picking up a car tomorrow and I'm 99% sure its got sensors in the wheels

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.