Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Heavy heavy breathing!
bigbriglasgow

posted on 1/4/05 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Heavy heavy breathing!

Hi guys,

Took the wee car out down to the local tescos to get me 12 months tax from there and when i came out i jumped in drove to the petrol station now about 5 miles in total and after i filled up i noticed the dops of oil on the way into the petrol station and under my car. drove it home and looked under the bonnet, have a crossflow 1640 with a wee pipercross breather on the side. the oil was dripping out of the filter on the breather. is this normal and what can i do to fix it as i hate oil leakin and this is loads! Have thought aboutr an oil catch tank, any advice or help much appreciated!!!!

Thanks

Brian

coz its a bit of an animal

zilspeed

posted on 1/4/05 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Brian

The car might respond to a bit of use. It hasn't really done much these last few months, and if a ring has went a bit sticky it could be pressurising the bottom end.
You could also check the valve on the breather hasn't stuck allowing oil to splash out or that the breather assembly itself isn't loose.

P.S. Catch tank is a good idea, especially if you think you might do any sort of track based activity.

RogerM

posted on 1/4/05 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
If you put the filter on the oil separator box (inlet side, on block) and this is still happening then you have a knackered oil seperator box. MOst Ford places can do something about this for you but most times it's just a mater of soaking it in petrol as the flap has siezed open.

If you have the breather on the rocker box then ..... well I think th ebest cause of action is to big a big hole and pay the motor it's last respects.

zilspeed

posted on 1/4/05 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
I had to look at a pic to remind me.
Brian - the car has a block breather.
Like Rog says. It's most likely the breather valve.

[Edited on 1/4/05 by zilspeed]

[Edited on 1/4/05 by zilspeed]

britishtrident

posted on 1/4/05 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Worth checking the actual oil level also especially if the car has a modded sump.
Stu16v

posted on 1/4/05 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds like you need a CORRECTLY PLUMBED IN catchtank....

The breather at the back of the block will not cope with separating oil from fumes when installed in a Locost or similar, especailly with a lowline sump. This is because the car can accelerate far harder than the original Escot donor, which causes the oil to travel to the back of the engine, where the breather is..... Result, oil gets thrown everywhere.

The answer is to discard the separator completely. Find a suitable replacement piece of pipe, and plumb this pipe into the rocker cover. Any oil that gets psuhed up this pipe now gets fed back into the engine.
You now need another pipe from the rocker cover, plumbed into a catch tank. This will allow the engine to breathe. Fit your filter on the catch tank breather.

Finally, make sure that all the above mentioned breather pipes are at least 1/2 inch bore, as the xflow does like to breathe - nature of the beast.

Hey presto, no more leaks (from the breather anyway...)

HTH Stu.

[Edited on 1/4/05 by Stu16v]

Dont just build it.....make it!

bigbriglasgow

posted on 3/4/05 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Hi All,

thanks for the help! got it fixed by steeping the valve in petrol, what a difference! works great now! thanks for your help also going to paitent my temp oil catch tank (GARDEN HOSE, GAFFA TAPE AND 1L VOLVIK WATER BOTTLE) any comercial interest then please get in touch!

Cheers

Brian

coz its a bit of an animal

steve m

posted on 3/4/05 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
I have also had this problem and added a breather pipe to the rocker cover and that solved the problem

mind you the engine went bang last year !!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.