Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VortX boot box
smart51

posted on 23/6/05 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
VortX boot box

Does anyone have any pictures of the VortX bootbox fitted to the car. I have done mine today and let us say that I am less than happy with the result. I'd be interested in seeing how other people have managed.
andy d (rizla)

posted on 23/6/05 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
heres mine,but my one may be slightly different as it was the first car

it now has a boot lid fitted over it Rescued attachment boot.jpg
Rescued attachment boot.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andy d (rizla)

posted on 23/6/05 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
and with the home made lid Rescued attachment lid.jpg
Rescued attachment lid.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 23/6/05 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
wow. yours looks really neat. They have changed it though. the front wall of the box is flat and slopes behind the diagonal tubes.
the chassis now has a diagonal tubes from the plate that the rollover bar is welded to towards the diff. my boot box fouled against these tubes. I had to mount it 22mm further back to clear them. It means that I had to cut 22mm of the back at the top to get it in round the "roll" of the rear pannel which means that there is now a 22mm gap at the front. Not only that but the notches round the rollover bars and diagonals have a 25mm hole round them.

It looks a right mess and even if I bought a new boot box and started over again, using the old box as a template, it still wouldn't look great.

I am a bit annoyed

[Edited on 23-6-2005 by smart51]

andy d (rizla)

posted on 23/6/05 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
there must be a knack to it as marcs done few,give him a bell,nothing to loose
JoelP

posted on 23/6/05 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
have you asked marc about it? that would seem a more productive approach than moaning to all and sundry when, lets face it, you are one of the first people to build one so no one is really going to be able to help anyway. obviously marc doesnt intend to supply crap or expect people to put up with crap, so either its the wrong part supplied, or you have fitted it wrong.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

andy d (rizla)

posted on 23/6/05 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
it may be a silly question so forgive my ignorance but could you have put it in the wrong way round ie back to front?
marc n

posted on 23/6/05 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
unfortunately it would appear you have fitted it the wrong way round the slope of the boot box follows the slope in the chassis

the new boot boxes are much easier to fit than the one shown on andys car that one took me 3 1/2 hours to fit ( i still have nioghtmares about it now )
I changed the design to help accomodate this and the fact we supply all cars witha proper rac approved cage with rear stays

unfortuntely this is one of the areas that the time taken is shown in the end product and there is no substitute for the measure twice cut once rule

best regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
smart51

posted on 24/6/05 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
I have fitted the boot box with the sloping at the front near the sloping chassis tubes and the vertical pannel is at the rear, which is the right way round.

I did phone marc a couple of times. His advice was to cut out the notches and try it.

I did measure twice and cut once. the measurement from the front to the back of the boot box is the same as the space on the car. I masked the boot box in tape and drew out the holes according to my measurements and then cut them out neatly.

The problem is that the two outer diagonal tubes (from the bottom of the rollover hoop to the diff) foul against the corners of the sloping pannel and the sides.

I suppose that you could say that it's all my fault as I didn't measure it in 3 dimensions, I only measured the top panel.

Nor was I saying that marc has sold me crap, infact I am impressed with the Vortx so far. Save for a bit of filing here and there, the whole thing has gone together very well up to now. My frustration was with the poor results, I was not apportioning blame. What I wanted from this thread were some pictures to give me ideas on how to repair what I'd done.

shortie

posted on 24/6/05 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Just one of those things that is very frustrating when building a car I guess.

I have had many times when I have been really p***ed off because something has not gone right, runinig 80 quids worth of Carbon dash springs to mind!!

I'm sure you should be able to make it fit and look nice, maybe a strip of ally where there's a gap at the front, polish the ali and it will look good.

Rich.

smart51

posted on 24/6/05 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
I have got 2 possible solutions and I'd like opinions on what would look best. I have a sheet of black carbon effect plastic that is the right size. Do I:

1) cut a square hole in it and mount it on top of the boot box so that it covers the other holes.

2) cut the bot box down so that there is a small lip all the way round it and mount that onto the ABS. A bit like a kitchen sink on a worktop I suppose.

shortie

posted on 24/6/05 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
First option will look nice, I have used this for my boot cover. Maybe make the middle bit so that it opens with a lock at the front.

Rich.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.