Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: front nosecone notch
Dillinger1977

posted on 7/8/05 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
front nosecone notch

can anyone post any pics of how they've notched the side panel front lower corner to get the nosecone to fit?

im guessing it needs a squareish tab removed from the bottom but by the looks of it, you'd be left with a hole as the corner of the sidepanel protrudes out of a gentler corner of the nosecone.

any tips?
cheers!

-Rog

smart51

posted on 7/8/05 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
no picture, sorry, but a description if that helps.

put a piece of masking tape on the lower side panel. Sit the nose cone on the body slightly to one side so that the lower part of the side panel sits inside the nose cone. draw on the tape with a pen, using the nosecone flange as an outline. Cut the side panel close to the line an file a bit off at a time unit it fits.

You may need to file the end of the side panel so that it meets the nose cone evenly. there is a slight curve to my nose cone. More filing in a little-by-little style but the results are worth it.

marc n

posted on 8/8/05 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
yep colins description sounds spot on

best regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dillinger1977

posted on 8/8/05 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
heres what i was meaning about the protruding corner.

i havent done it yet, its just a mockup (i love photoshop!)

do you see what i mean about how the side panel has a sharp corner radius, and the nosecone is very rounded.
i'd imagine that there'll be a little bit of a corner poking out of the bottom. or is it in such a place you just dont notice?

or do you pull the lower corners inside the nose quite a lot?

do you still have the white one about marc? i might come and have a look.

[Edited on 8/8/05 by Dillinger1977]

-Rog

Dillinger1977

posted on 8/8/05 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
heres what i meant. anyone got any ideas?

cheers.
Rog

-Rog

smart51

posted on 8/8/05 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Ah yes. I have the same problem. I'd forgotton about that. It was deemed to be a "it's bolted on - leave the details to the tidying up stage at the end" type of job. Yours, like mine, would interest an SVA inspector. I think half of the problem with me forgetting this is that it is out of sight in a small garage unless you kneel down.
marc n

posted on 8/8/05 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
this is what it looks like on the white car Rescued attachment nosecone-notch.jpg
Rescued attachment nosecone-notch.jpg

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dillinger1977

posted on 8/8/05 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for the pic marc

ahh, it looks like youve pulled in the lower corner a little more into the nose.
i can imagine that might still leave a small corner, did you shape it and use filler to blend it in?

-Rog

smart51

posted on 9/8/05 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
Oh! I've bonded my side panels to the chassis like in the picture posted by Dillinger. How can I fix this then?
marc n

posted on 9/8/05 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

ahh, it looks like youve pulled in the lower corner a little more into the nose.

quote:

i can imagine that might still leave a small corner, did you shape it and use filler to blend it in?

all i did was slit the side and warm up the fibreglass and curve it to the nosecone then seal the slot

not very easy to explain

hope it helps

marc n

posted on 9/8/05 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Oh! I've bonded my side panels to the chassis like in the picture posted by Dillinger. How can I fix this then?

not sure colin you may have to release the bonding agent or slit the side panel bottom edge

smart51

posted on 9/8/05 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
If you squeeze in the side panels, you expose the sharp edges of the nose cone. How do these get through SVA?

How do you remove PU adhesive?

[Edited on 9-8-2005 by smart51]

marc n

posted on 9/8/05 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
car as seen in pic passed sva rad check !!!!!

dont know about the solvent side of things ??

best regards

marc

smart51

posted on 10/8/05 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
how about this. if I cut the bottom corner of the side panel back so that it is under the wishbone, will it look OK / Pass SVA / be safe
Dillinger1977

posted on 10/8/05 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
thats something i was previously considering, just having a gap underneath (you can see the curved pencil line on the original photo you doctored!)

still havent quite decided myself. id like to keep the side corners flush with the nose corners but that leaves it sticking out the bottom.
pushing it in means the nose sticks out the side (and there'll still be some fettling)

how should it be secured? rivets across top+bottom lip?
where did you use sealant on yours?

-Rog

smart51

posted on 10/8/05 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
I put PU along the top of the top chassis rails and put in a couple of rivets, crucially 1 at the end to stop peel. A few clamps held it in place over night. I then put PU on the underside of the lower rail and riveted, clamped. for neatness and extra strength, I ran a bead of PU in the gaps as the GRP was a bit bigger than the chassis.

I agree that the sides flush with the nose cone looks better. It;s just as well as my only other option is to strip it all off and start again.

If I were doing it again, I'd fit the nose cone properly between gluing on the top and bottom of the sides. I fastened the nose cone with clamps and the results are not 100% perfect. I think the nose cone may have moved by a mm or two. It looks OK though.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.