Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vortx dash test
Dillinger1977

posted on 8/1/06 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
vortx dash test

hello chaps,

just fiddling with photoshop to try out a dash idea I had. i want to use that sheet carbon effect plastic stuff to make a dashboard shape. mainly to calm the WALL OF ORANGE COLOUR down a bit.

is this sort of thing doable for SVA, or will i need to round the edges of it off a bit? (its 2mm deep afaik)

standard r1 00/01 clocks, 2 fan/fog switches and a brake light. minimalist, but i like it that way. (might be tempted for a fuel guage later though!!)

what do you think? (the steering wheel will obviously be changed post-sva!)

Description
Description

cheers!

-Rog

tom court

posted on 8/1/06 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
dash

looks very cool
is it the plastic effect carbon, how did u cut it ?

RichieC

posted on 8/1/06 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good to me mate, tempting me back away from using a digidash cos I really like the R1 clocks.

As for the SVA question, I honestly couldnt say whether theyd count that as a projection and therefore be subject to the radius issue. If its not too hard to radius, Id do it just to be sure, otherwise ask them directly.

Rgds

Rich

donut

posted on 8/1/06 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Crumbs! very nice!!!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
muzchap

posted on 8/1/06 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Looks awesome! :-)

Are you fitting any other dials?

Perhaps you could get TRITON to mould that whole segment for you - so the clocks sit inside a nicely radiused housing - with the carbon trim of course

If quite a few people are planning the same - you might be able to do a deal?

It'll look very professional then - which i'm sure the SVA Man will appreciate :-)

smart51

posted on 9/1/06 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Carbon effect plastic is just plastic with a stick carbon effect film stuck to it. Why not just use the carbon effect film? It is about 0.05mm thick and so can be cut with a sharp knife and will stick to the vortx dash without having a raised edge. Its also stretchy and so can be wrapped around the return edges around the steering column. You can also wrap it around the curved lower edge. Much neater.

I got some off eBay but companies that do car panel wraps should be able to supply it. They may even be abe to laser cut it if you can supply a CAD template.

Dillinger1977

posted on 9/1/06 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
that might be a better idea colin, in which case i could be tempted to do the whole lower part of the scuttle (like the orange MNR car with inlaid CF) which looks great!

i'll have a look about for some film

-Rog

viatron

posted on 9/1/06 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Dont tnink SVA will be a problem at that thickness, bouight a couple of sheets of this myself and the chap i bought it off said a router was the best way to get a good edge when trimming / cutting it.
Mac

NB: iof you do use a router then you could use a quarter round bit to radius it anyway.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 9/1/06 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
HI Rog,

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong - but anything that is within the steering wheel radius plus 172mm ( please check before commiting ) is ok to be non radiused .

May be worth looking at the radius of the clocks before as well. All the gauges ont' V8 are withing this measurement. as the beveles are border line !.

A length ou U trim rubber arroung the Carbon affect plastic, is another option for SVA. I have donne this arround the exhaust exit pltes on the side of mine ( more a case of hiding dodgy cutting than SVA )

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Dillinger1977

posted on 9/1/06 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
heh heh!

the clocks -should- fall within the steering wheel radius (with gigantic sierra wheel fitted) but i was unsure of the carbon stuff just going past the radius.
the U trim is an option that could work well.

thinking about it, the stone chip guards on the rear wheel arches are the same material. do these need U trim for sva, or is that area exempt from the testing?

-Rog

Agriv8

posted on 9/1/06 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Rog - would leave the rear protector's off until after SVA as I am unsure about the radius unless you are already commited of course !!

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Dillinger1977

posted on 9/1/06 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
not yet...
good thing im so blummin slow isnt it?

-Rog

amalyos

posted on 9/1/06 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
The dash looks great, I may pinch the idea if thats ok, as mine will be a bit bright as well!!

G.Man

posted on 9/1/06 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Looks great Roger...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Winston Todge

posted on 9/1/06 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
What have you got left to do now then mate?

Dash looks wicked.

Take it easy,

Chris.

Dillinger1977

posted on 9/1/06 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
cheers chaps!
i still havent 'done' the dash yet, as i said its just a photo manipulation job to see what it would look like but i think that it'd be a good way to do it.

whats left? ooh. lots. ive done next to nothing since the last time i posted as ive got loads of 'other' work on at the moment.

its mainly wiring and cables before i get the engine fired up, and some 'finishing' stuff like boot panels + dash.
i was terrified of the wiring but ive just got a bit casual about the whole thing now and am going to have a go whether i make an arse of it or not.

-Rog

JoaoCaldeira

posted on 9/1/06 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a great idea... Mine will be orange, too, so beyond sun glasses, this could be the best bet...

Joao

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.