Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: a decent enough fail
Dillinger1977

posted on 10/5/07 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
a decent enough fail

had my first SVA yesterday. A fail, but not as bad as I was expecting!

1 : Emissions (expected)
Its not been set up, and failed the previous MOT emissions test (just), but completely failed the SVA one by a large margin. CO was way high (0.92?) but lambda was also very high. This to me seems contradictory...
I'm thinking that either the Cat is toast, or the CO readin is correct but the lambda is wrong. The examiner mentioned that he couldnt get the probe very far into the exhaust as it was rigid and couldnt get far into the bend at the end so perhaps it was picking up more air than it should have been. If so, im not sure how to remedy that other than fitting a different tailpipe....
anyhow, its going to have to be booked into a bike servicey place who can fiddle and know what they are doing.

2 : Self Centering.
I thought I had fixed this but it just wasnt centering enough for him. I'll have to get it all off again and recheck everything.

3 : a tiny bit of play in the track rod ends. This sounds like the threaded part of the rod end isnt pulled up enough into the reamed part of the upright. I'll try some washers on the top to pull it up more. failing that, some sort of thin collar?

4 : No fixed brake bias (expected)
I didnt want to drill and fix anything without knowing the balance was set up right. it seems that it was!
now for the nightmare task of getting into the driver footwell again..

other than that there was a couple of 10 second fixes which are very easy to do, so I was quite surprised. I didnt go expecting a pass so didnt build my hopes up, I just wanted a short list of things to fix. other than the emissions, everything seems okay.

the tester was very fair. He didnt say a lot though the test which had me shi...ing bricks but at the end explained it all and complemented me on the build. Said it was very nice and passed on things most kits fail on
he did however tell me that some fella tried to put in a Tiger kit with a bike engine, and after 6 failed attempts at emissions gave up and put a car engine in it. not what I wanted to hear!!

a couple of pleasant suprises.. headlight aim was fine (I completely guessed!), no sharp front projections, dash radiuses were fine (me and the missus spent a long time making vinyl padding and boots for the front shocks. After all, I wanted it to be permanent and not a bodge)
Speedohealer adjustment was fine. Front indicator mounts were fine. Seatbelt mounts were fine (another concern after chocky's issues).

all in all, im pretty pleased with it. The only black cloud is emissions (no pun intended!)

Heres a pic of the car before it left, and 2 more in my photo archive.

Pre SVA nearside
Pre SVA nearside

----> Pre SVA Dash

----> Pre SVA offside Rear

no Decals and black viper stripes on yet of course.. also probably going to fit a bonnet scoop and extra aero bulges

-Rog

shortie

posted on 10/5/07 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Good result if you ask me!!

ell done, only a few small bits to sort and ready for the summer!!

Rich.

smart51

posted on 10/5/07 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Not too bad Roger. Fairly easy fixes, except the emissions perhaps.

If lambda is high then you're running lean, meaning there's plenty of oxyegen for the cat to oxidise the CO into CO2. If it isn't then perhaps your cat has had enough.

Agriv8

posted on 10/5/07 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Rog,

Good effort looking at your can you managed to get some heat into it !!!

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Dillinger1977

posted on 10/5/07 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
not enough it seems!

oh, some addendums:

- driving the car for the first time ever over 25mp, in rush our traffic, on a motorway, beside HGV's is VERY scary...

- having a laptop with 200+ build photos on it pleases the tester a lot!

- having a non-working water guage and radiator fan switch is not great. (thank god the fan override switch was working!!)

-Rog

BenB

posted on 10/5/07 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds a good fail!! Not too much to sort out... I wouldn't worry about what the tester said- with ingenuity and determination a pass second time round should be no problem.. I wonder what the person who failed 6 times was doing to try and mend the problem?

Those readings sounds strange.... It could well be that the probe wasn't far enough up (if they're accurate it suggests the CAT has died).... Does the end of the silencer can come off (it would be blooming loud but one way of checking).... Either that or take the can off the collector and stick a probe up there...

Winston Todge

posted on 10/5/07 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Great news Rog!

The fails seem to be fair enough?

A few questions btw...

1. Where did you get the rear reflectors mounted on the side of the rear tub?

2. What mirrors did you use in the end?

3. What did you make your exhaust surround from? Looks a good job! Removeable without taking the manifold off?

4. Where'd the headlights come from?

5. Did you borrow Marc's cat and exhuast?

6.Does it go aswell as you'd hoped? Easy enough to drive?

7. Not a question, but bloody well done! Looks like a very neat build with a quality finish.

When's the retest?

Take it easy,

Chris.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dillinger1977

posted on 10/5/07 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

1. Where did you get the rear reflectors mounted on the side of the rear tub?

Mac1 I think, at a show. Its an SVA fail where they currently are BTW (thats one of the 10 seconds fixes, i've already got bigger reflectors but forgot to take them, doh!

quote:

2. What mirrors did you use in the end?

the side mirrors are THESE.. very nice they are too. A little difficult to get the driver side to tilt enough outwards but some washers at the base work.

Center is a convex racetech one, well trimmed..

quote:

3. What did you make your exhaust surround from? Looks a good job! Removeable without taking the manifold off?

Originally I was going to do 1mm stainless but this was a few days before the test and the stainless kept breaking jigsaw blades so in a panic I gave up and used 2mm Aluminium. because its thicker, I hand radiused it to give it a very smoth curved outer edge
it took about 6-7 cardboard templates until I was happy with the shape and the fit, and also yes, currently its removeable without taking anything off as its 2 part. the larger upper visible part hooks around a pipe and goes over and theres a very small 'U' shape underneath.
It will be swapped to the stainless one once I get time.

quote:

4. Where'd the headlights come from?

Mac#1 again I think. same show I got the reflectors from if i remember right. (looong time ago!)

quote:

5. Did you borrow Marc's cat and exhuast?

Unfortunately all of MNR's SVA stuff was on loan to other people which is why I didnt have the large 'bumper' style indicators or chunky big mirrors.
thankfully the indicators on stalks worked okay and he even classed them as bumpers despite being a bit flimsy.

quote:

6.Does it go aswell as you'd hoped? Easy enough to drive?

Im not used to it at all so in my eyes it didnt feel that powerful. I dont think its running quite right.. fuelling off etc so once its tuned properly and rejetted it'll probably be better.
Its probably also got something to do with me not being used to driving such a high revving car (my daily driver is a diesel now!), so i only had it around 5-7000 revs.
I guess that isnt really in the proper power range so once i get used to wringing its neck without thinking its going to blow up im sure it'll be fine!

quote:

7. Not a question, but bloody well done! Looks like a very neat build with a quality finish.

why thank ye sah!
My engine bay is a bit untidy (hence no pics!) but since nobody sees it its less of an issue. The external is seen by all so I made sure to put extra effort into the final finish.

-Rog

Agriv8

posted on 10/5/07 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Rog,

I would sugest that you take it easy on the load pedal until fueling is sorted out post SVA . as by the looks of it you are running very lean

regards

Agriv8

Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Dillinger1977

posted on 10/5/07 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
duly noted, cheers!

-Rog

chockymonster

posted on 10/5/07 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
Rog,

I would sugest that you take it easy on the load pedal until fueling is sorted out post SVA . as by the looks of it you are running very lean

regards

Agriv8

Iain,

why do you say lean?
CO is high, HC is high (>200ppm)
That would suggest running rich at idle?

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scoey m
Builder

Posts 209
Registered 8/2/06

Photo Archive Go!
Building: MNR Vortx r1(sva pass 07 plate yumyum)

posted on 10/5/07 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Very Well Done Rog

Same position as me just about with self centering and emmissions to sort if you make any breakthrough progress keep me informed and vica versa

Excellent looking build mate

Martin

Agriv8

posted on 10/5/07 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
as a rule of thumb ( and I may have this wrong )

most of the carbed r1's need to run lean to get the temp up for the cat to work for sva emmisions. this will mean that it is lean across the whole rev range.

Wouldnt want one of you to melt somthing

Regards

Agriv8

coozer

posted on 10/5/07 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Good looking car mate, and best of luck with your retest.

Just a quick question from me... what did you put on the bottom of the dash to achieve the 19mm radius?

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

pif

posted on 10/5/07 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
graet looking car. mac 1 may be able to help with a cat hire kit. i borrowed theres last week for my sva and the car flew through the test ( co2 0.00 / unburnts 0.01) and i did no pre work on the emissions in fact the car wouldn't even start on teh day of the test and hadnt been starting for a week or so and after an hour at mac1 they had it running sweet. they accompanied me to the test and set the car up on the centres emissions tester.

where abouts are you in sw manchester as it may not be all that far to mac 1 for you. if i can help with out let us know. I'm in glossop and have a car full of sticky, rounded, soft, radiused things that may help for your retest.

pif

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

Dillinger1977

posted on 11/5/07 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
cheers pif, i'll give the chaps at Mac1 a shout

fortunately, rounded bits are sorted, they are the things I breezed it on!

coozer: all the under dash padding is done with pipe lagging covered in vinyl/leather effect material.

the diagonal ones above the knees are wrapped in the leather stuff and fixed behind with velcro.

cut your lagging to fit, take it off. wrap material around it and trim the material, leaving an inch either side so you can fold the material back and create a 'return' rounded edge (rather than a horrible scissored edge).
get the sewing machine out (got the missus to do this bit, lol). sew the return edges and then attach a strip of velcro.

the one on the dash underside was more of a swine to fit, its a combination of double sided tape on the inside and strong duck tape on the rear side.

the lagging is a sod to try to retain its bend. mine split along the back which helped a bit, and I also had a hairdryer on it which didnt do a lot admittedly..

despite being easily removable, everything was done to be a permanent fixture. after all if done right it looks very nice, and is a lot safer if an accident occurs.

I have to say though, 3/4 of the way though fitting it I wished i'd just got some doortrim and bodged it..
glad I didnt now though!

-Rog

marc n

posted on 11/5/07 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
looks great top job, appologies about the cat problems tried to get some more to add to the 8 we already have but so far have been unsucessfull, unfortunately some people have been askibg for sva stuff far too far ahead of the sva which has meant that people who actually need it are short

once again great job on the car

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.