Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WTF are ebay on ????
Jon Ison

posted on 8/6/07 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
WTF are ebay on ????

Just had a listing pulled with less than 24hrs to run as we breached policy ????

It contained the words......

"it is advertised elsewhere so we reserve the right to end the auction early"

I have used this line zillions of times and so have around 50% of the other listings I see on there........

This happened to anyone else ? New one on me.

Hammerhead

posted on 8/6/07 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
was it advertised elsewhere?
mookaloid

posted on 8/6/07 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have no wish to fall out with anyone here but I have to say that using that line is not really in the spirit of an auction. I have on many occasions not been able to buy something because the seller has ended the auction early (presumably because he has sold it outside ebay) Surely the point is to get the best price and those interested should bid their highest price and if it wins then great, if not then hard luck.

To have the item taken away at the last minute is frustrating for a potential buyer who may well have bid more than it was actually sold for.

Just my 2p worth

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Hellfire

posted on 8/6/07 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
I completely agree Mark. It's just another way for sellers to put a reserve price on whatever they're selling, regardless of whether it's advertised elsewhere or not. If the auction is going slowly and it looks like they aren't gonna get what they expected for it, they can pull it from e-bay and say they have sold it elsewhere.

I'm not saying that some of the items aren't genuinely advertised elsewhere but it gives the seller the opportunity to put a reserve on it without actually doing it through e-bay. I also agree that it isn't in the spirit of an e-bay auction.

Phil

Phil

mookaloid

posted on 8/6/07 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
I completely agree Mark. It's just another way for sellers to put a reserve price on whatever they're selling, regardless of whether it's advertised elsewhere or not. If the auction is going slowly and it looks like they aren't gonna get what they expected for it, they can pull it from e-bay and say they have sold it elsewhere.

I'm not saying that some of the items aren't genuinely advertised elsewhere but it gives the seller the opportunity to put a reserve on it without actually doing it through e-bay. I also agree that it isn't in the spirit of an e-bay auction.

Phil

Phil

Great minds ........

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

whitestu

posted on 8/6/07 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
I agree - I can understand why people do it but am surprised Ebay allow them to.

Stu

smart51

posted on 8/6/07 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
I have no wish to fall out with anyone here but I have to say that using that line is not really in the spirit of an auction. I have on many occasions not been able to buy something because the seller has ended the auction early (presumably because he has sold it outside ebay)

or more likely that there haven't been enough bids and the selling price is too low. The reserve price is there for that reason but the eBay fees are higher if you set a reserve and sellers want to get away with the lower fees.

Jon Ison

posted on 8/6/07 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
with less than 24hrs to run you cant pull it.

yes it was advertised and is advertised elsewhere.

CBA to search on here but i seem to remember advice from here, make sure you put "it is advertised elsewhere so i reserve the right to end the auction early"

double standards n all that.

UncleFista

posted on 8/6/07 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
with less than 24hrs to run you cant pull it.

I'm pretty sure it's 12 hours Jon.
BTW ebay wouldn't have pulled your auction by themselves, it must've been reported by someone, do you have many competitors on ebay ?

[Edited on 8/6/07 by UncleFista]

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

dern

posted on 8/6/07 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
It would be very easy for ebay to search for these phrases automatically and alert you before the auction starts that your ad contravenes some law.

On a personal note the phrase in question is always enough to make me not bid but can understand why you wouldn't want to close every other avenue of sale I guess.

Regards,

Mark

R1 (2003 FI) powered Locost in progress
Fireblade/Impreza

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 8/6/07 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
a seller does what they have to to sell the product and make a profit. I think actually putting a reserve on it puts more bidders off than the disclaimer about advertised elsewhere - and when i do that i never really advertise it anyway.

But on the other hand, ebay want to make a profit and dont want people avoiding fees.

If i was selling multiply identical products like jon, id do it exactly like he does, some with a buy it now so people know the price, and some in auction to drum up interest. Few enough though so that you dont have to pull many. Ideally auction ones would get within a fiver of the BIN price.

RazMan

posted on 8/6/07 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I don't bid on items that might suddenly disappear. As already said, why auction it and then sell it eleswhere? It doesn't make sense. Stick a reserve on it by all means and just let the auction run

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lsdweb

posted on 8/6/07 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
I had one pulled recently for exactly the same kind of thing. I do advertise stuff locally at the same time and will sell for a little less than on ebay as I don't have to pay the fee and sometimes get awayt without postage if really local.

Ebay said:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your ended listing. My name is Evan and I'm happy to assist you with this.

I understand your concerns about similar listings on the site and I'm sorry if you feel singled out. I assure you that this isn't the case.

We rely on reports from our members to bring questionable listings to our attention. If a reported listing breaches our policies we'll remove it from the site. Please rest assured that the same rules are applied to all members.

However, take into account the sheer volume of listings on eBay - unfortunately we aren't made aware of every breach of our policies.

Please continue to report any questionable items you spot to us through the Contact Us form on the following page:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/contact_us/_base/index.html

Kind regards,

Evan Baggott
eBay Trust & Safety

ReMan

posted on 8/6/07 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
I have used this term on a current sale, though it is the first time I ever have I elaborated slightl y to say ... "As this is such a rare item, there is no market indictor to it's worth, therefore I have set a low starting price and no reserve, though I will not be letting it let it go for 99p! and I also reserve the right on this occasion to withdraw from this auction prior to the end, as it is advertised elsewhere, however I will always honour a winning bid at auction end."

I agree it may put some people off, I have been put off from buying myself sometimes, but what's the worst that can happen from a buyers perspective, you don't win?

BTW it's item number 270125853997 , there you go, as described, it is advertised elsewhere if anyone wants to make be an offer

martyn_16v

posted on 9/6/07 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
The thing is there's very little stopping you from pulling an auction anyway, whether or not you put in a useless bit of text warning people you might. If eBay really wanted to stop this they'd keep track of how many auctions a user cancelled and do something if they stop an unacceptably high percentage, instead they rob you of your fee for putting some totally redundant wording in your auction description...

lsdweb

posted on 9/6/07 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

instead they rob you of your fee for putting some totally redundant wording in your auction description...

They gave me a full refund for my cancelled auction. I was just about to readvertise it (my Dad's caravan) when we sold it elsewhere!!!

Wyn

ChrisGamlin

posted on 9/6/07 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martyn_16v
The thing is there's very little stopping you from pulling an auction anyway, whether or not you put in a useless bit of text warning people you might.

Exactly, at least by saying it you're being truthful (either that it IS advertised elsewhere, or you will withdraw it if its selling for sod all).

As mentioned, the worse that happens is that the bidder doesn't win the auction, but hey thats life. If you responded to an advert elsewhere there's no guarantees that it won't already be sold, or even it selling in between you calling up and arriving to buy.

RazMan

posted on 9/6/07 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGamlin
If you responded to an advert elsewhere there's no guarantees that it won't already be sold, or even it selling in between you calling up and arriving to buy.

But the point is that is is not an advert - it's an auction. Auctions are designed to attract bidders and you then sell to the highest bidder. If you advertise it elsewhere while running the auction you are going to let someone down aren't you - it just contradicts the whole purpose of auctioning the item in the first place. You wouldn't open two adverts for the same item at different asking prices would you?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

RoadkillUK

posted on 9/6/07 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to sell an item at a certain price then use 'Buy it now', if you want to sell it for at least xxx the use a Reserve, otherwise let the auction go to the end.

Advertising elsewhere says to me 'If I don't get the price I'm looking for, I'm gonna pull the auction'

Personally, if I'm bidding on something, then I want it. If there's a possibility of my winning bid being 'rejected' then I'd rather look elsewhere.

Recently I've had a clearout. As you may know, some of the items were put on here for a certain price, the others I put on Ebay, starting at 99p with no reserve.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

gazza285

posted on 10/6/07 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
If you don't like it don't use it.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

Jon Ison

posted on 10/6/07 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan

You wouldn't open two adverts for the same item at different asking prices would you?

Actually yes I would and do, so do all the major retailers, depends where your selling and who too.

The auction in question did have a BIN option and was advertised elsewhere for slightly more to allow for the haggle factor. so if I put something in addmag I cant put it on ebay at same time and visa versa, even with a BIN ?

We have to agree to disagree, such is life, anyone out for a blat this afternoon Derbyshire Yorkshire area ? Cat n fiddle ?

Hellfire

posted on 10/6/07 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Cat n Fiddle......... what time & where?

Phil

Jon Ison

posted on 10/6/07 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Cat n Fiddle......... what time & where?

Phil

sometime this afternoon, will be 2 up if you fancy a run up for a shandy ? Prob leave here 3-4 ish J29 M1, Chesterfield Buxton, Cat n fiddle back through Matlock & Chatsworth ? Greeeeeeeeat roads.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.