Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bonnet cutout
coozer

posted on 18/3/08 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Bonnet cutout

I've cut the hole in the bonnet side for the exhaust to poke through and due to the rigidity of being lost the bonnet edges 'hang' over the sides of the body.
Anyone else encountered this and have a solution??
Steve Rescued attachment Exhaust exit.jpg
Rescued attachment Exhaust exit.jpg

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

fesycresy

posted on 18/3/08 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Grip Fill ?

No seriously, perhaps a locating pin protruding up from the chassis to locate the bonnet ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

dan__wright

posted on 18/3/08 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
fit a bike engine so they come out of the side panel.

you could put some kind of ali surround but your not going to be able to make it that solid, other thing would be to add some braces from edge to the top of the bonnet so its triangulated, i had the same problem on my dash.

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

mookaloid

posted on 18/3/08 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
I used a locating pin loctited into a rivnut in the chassis as in photo below if you can see it in the pic below:

Pinto exhaust
Pinto exhaust

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

worX

posted on 18/3/08 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
I would of thought that your bonnet catches would of pulled that back in line, but if not then the rivnutted in stud would be the best bet, only I'd put a piece of tight fitting hose round it so it didn't continually vibrate and "work" the hole larger and larger...

You could also Bond into place a couple of Ali spars, on the Inside of the bonnet, to maintain the shape of the bonnet. 2mm thick should be enough to aid the bonnet catches do their job!

HTH
Steve

[Edited on 18/3/08 by worX]

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 18/3/08 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
i have this problem too but couldn't think of a reasonable way of solving it, i think the locating pin is a great idea, i will put one in this weekend
worX

posted on 18/3/08 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
I also think that your cutout might be a little bit too good!!!
It's awfully close to your exhaust and unless you are going to put a surround, it will either melt it or at least dis-colour it I reckon...

Steve

matt_claydon

posted on 18/3/08 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
I did the locating pin (bolt with head removed and ground to a point). in a rivnut thing too, works a treat.
coozer

posted on 18/3/08 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by worX
I also think that your cutout might be a little bit too good!!!
It's awfully close to your exhaust and unless you are going to put a surround, it will either melt it or at least dis-colour it I reckon...

Steve

I spent ages with the Dremel trimming a little bit at a time to get it looking good

I fancy a nice carbon fibre trim to go round it but thats for after SVA!

Thanks for all the suggestions, apart from the BEC idea that is. Bike engines are too flimsy for me...

I was thinking about the pin idea so may give it a go. Just need to get under the bonnet to line the holes up

[Edited on 18/3/08 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

matt_claydon

posted on 18/3/08 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Thanks for all the suggestions, I was thinking about the pin idea so may give it a go. Just need to get under the bonnet to line the holes up

Put the pin in the side rail first, then put the bonnet on and allow the pin to make a scratch, then you'll know where to drill the bonnet. Use this to get the longitudinal position but measure the distance in from the edge to make sure you get the bonnet and side panel to line up perfectly.

DarrenW

posted on 18/3/08 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
One of my SVA fail points was the cut out too close to the exhaust manifold. Mine was about the same as yours Steve originally.

donut

posted on 18/3/08 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Once you put the bonnet catches on most of it lines up. The pin idea is a good one which i used on both my cars.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
neilj37

posted on 18/3/08 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
i have uploaded a picture to my photo archive which shows the cut out on my bonnet. Dion also fitted some velcro along bonnet to stop the edges flaring out

[Edited on 18/3/08 by neilj37]

numnuts

posted on 19/3/08 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for the hijack but how is the car doing Neil?
neilj37

posted on 20/3/08 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Car is going great although it has developed an intermitant squeek and i can't for the life of me work out where it coming from. Only occurs when I am driving and it comes and goes.

Still looking after it as instructed. It lives in a heated garage with a soft cotton cover for protection ...lol

I am also just in the process of making a cover to put over the cockpit for when it is parked up outside to stop any dirt/rain getting in and stop people being noisy. Trying to do it so i don't have to add poppers to the body work.

Any projects Dion ??

[Edited on 20/3/08 by neilj37]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.