Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Changing fuel supply type.
ian.stewart

posted on 8/12/22 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Changing fuel supply type.

Im trying to save myself a lot of work, Im converting my 20XE from 45s to Jenny injection, not wanting to have to cut up a new tank that I have just installed, and run extra fuel/return line. on a previous build BEC there was no return plumbing for fuel, can I convert My Jenveys to run as a non return system? or will this open a can of worms with things like bleeding air, and fuel vaporisation?

Something different, Very different..............

Simon

posted on 8/12/22 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Surely you could put the return feed in with minimal "damage" - a drilled hole (in the top or side) with tube inside tank to return fuel to bottom of tank and return feed from front or car- all sealed by compression/gaskets

Something like this

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/m10x1-red-anodised-aluminium-straight-8mm-hosetail

[Edited on 8/12/22 by Simon]

scudderfish

posted on 9/12/22 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
I added a small pipe to the fuel sender fitting on the basis that if I screwed it up, it was replaceable. Worked fine.
40inches

posted on 9/12/22 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
I used one of these Aircraft tank fitting
If it's cleared for aircraft use that's good enough for me

theconrodkid

posted on 9/12/22 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
I used one of these Aircraft tank fitting
If it's cleared for aircraft use that's good enough for me

same here, just be sure to de-burr the inside surface or you can cut the rubber washer....ask me how i know

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

ian.stewart

posted on 9/12/22 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Now im really confused, just checking over the Jenveys, and not quite what I was expecting, the fuel rail only feeds from one end, the other end is a blank,

Something different, Very different..............

snapper

posted on 9/12/22 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
It will have a pressure relieve valve with a return to the tank, it’s what’s known as a dead head system.
You can have a pump that will not pump past a certain pressure but these usually have some form of ECU control
The simple non-return dead had fuel rail usually uses an in tank fuel pub with built in bypass any other system will need a return

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

SteveWalker

posted on 9/12/22 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
I added a small pipe to the fuel sender fitting on the basis that if I screwed it up, it was replaceable. Worked fine.

Exactly what I did. The sender unit already had a feed and return, but I added a second, shorter feed (teed into the first, via a valve), so the pump picks up until the end of the short pick-up keeps being uncovered and letting air in, giving a warning of running out and allowing me to close the valve, forcing pick-up only from the longer one, so acting as an inbuilt reserve.

When E10 became the norm, I replaced the sender and pick-ups (which corroded badly in it) with a stainless-steel disk, with stainless feeds and returns silver-soldered into it and a plastic/stainless magnetic float and reed-chain type sender unit bolted through the disk (my tank is stainless anyway).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.