Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Warm Up Enrichment and After Start Enrichment
Sanzomat

posted on 15/3/23 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Warm Up Enrichment and After Start Enrichment

I'm trying to refine these on my 5PW R1 engined Locost with Speeduino ECU/Tunerstudio.

It generally starts okay from cold but as the warm up enrichment is based on coolant temperature and the engine itself warms up quicker than the coolant I'm thinking I need to flatten the curve a bit as it gets lumpy and stalls not long after start up unless I keep revving it. Similarly the afterstart enrichment, particularly when hot, seems wrong as it can be hard to start and won't idle straight after it fires.

I've currently kept the numbers that were in the Megasquirt tables when I bought the car but I think they are wrong. When it was rolling road mapped it was warmed up before mapping so these numbers weren't looked at.

Can anyone share their warm up enrichment curve numbers and afterstart enrichment percentage/times vs coolant temp please.

coyoteboy

posted on 15/3/23 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
What's your idle control strategy?
I fought for ages trying to adjust WUE/ASE because my idle control was closed loop too. I had much more success when I used a fixed open loop idle pwm and let the revs vary, then dialed in the closed loop idle afterwards.

[Edited on 15/3/23 by coyoteboy]

Sanzomat

posted on 15/3/23 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
What's your idle control strategy?
I fought for ages trying to adjust WUE/ASE because my idle control was closed loop too. I had much more success when I used a fixed open loop idle pwm and let the revs vary, then dialed in the closed loop idle afterwards.

[Edited on 15/3/23 by coyoteboy]

Completely open loop as its only used for track days and emissions aren't a big deal. The wideband is only used to display AFR

MikeR

posted on 15/3/23 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Which version of the firmware are you running? Are you on 202207?
Sanzomat

posted on 15/3/23 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

I'm still on 202103 tbh I was a bit nervous of installing the firmware updates!

obfripper

posted on 15/3/23 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got the original wax stat idle control fitted?

The stat can fail at cold or hot running positions, and leave you either cold or hot idle issues.

If you're not using this idle control and are using just the itb's alone, a workaround is adding a load site in your ignition map at below normal idle speed which has more advance, this will make the idle return/stablilise with no fueling changes when it drops into this zone. I use around 4° extra advance on my car, exact numbers may differ here for a bike engine, but it should still work.

Dave

Sanzomat

posted on 15/3/23 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
Have you got the original wax stat idle control fitted?

The stat can fail at cold or hot running positions, and leave you either cold or hot idle issues.

If you're not using this idle control and are using just the itb's alone, a workaround is adding a load site in your ignition map at below normal idle speed which has more advance, this will make the idle return/stablilise with no fueling changes when it drops into this zone. I use around 4° extra advance on my car, exact numbers may differ here for a bike engine, but it should still work.

Dave

Just googled that wax stat thingy - pretty sure that had been removed but I'll check next time I'm near the car. Its a bit of a mongrel as its a 4XV lump with 5PW throttle bodies re-spaced (all done by previous owner/builder). If that's right I'll have a play with that extra advance in that part of the map. Last year I was just blipping the throttle until it was warm enough to settle into an idle but before this season track days I'd like to get it working better.

MikeR

posted on 16/3/23 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanzomat
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

I'm still on 202103 tbh I was a bit nervous of installing the firmware updates!

The have been a lot of improvements to the code since then. Always worth getting into the current version in my view.

(But save copies of the tune in case your want to revert back)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.