Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Low pressure fuel pump
paulf

posted on 3/1/06 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Low pressure fuel pump

I am just making and fitting my surge pot to supply the Bosch injection pump, but need to find a low pressure pump to supply it with. I have a few SU electrical pumps as fitted to MGBs and early Jags but am not sure if it is good to have them operating constantly, as there is no pressure head to stop them as in a carb application and they are also quite heavy and bulky
I have been thinking about trying a pump from a carbed bike but dont know which ones are external to the tank .
Has anyone any ideas? I know i could just go and buy a Facet pump but am trying to keep the cost down as much as possible on the parts that I can.
Paul.

mookaloid

posted on 3/1/06 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Go and buy the Facet pump! If I recall, it was only about £30

The old SU's were notoriously unreliable so don't bother with them.

Don't know much about bike pumps but it sounds feasable although I doubt you will save a lot of money under the £30

Cheers

Mark

Mix

posted on 3/1/06 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'm currently thinking about using the return from the high pressure pump to 'power' a jet pump. I haven't thought it through thouroughly yet but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
I'll dig out a link to jet pumps

Mick

Schrodinger

posted on 3/1/06 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
The return from the fuel rail should go back to the swirl pot if you then restrict the return from the swirl pot to the tank the low pressure pump shouldn't be overworked.

regards

Keith

Suffolk

britishtrident

posted on 3/1/06 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
SU pumps are OK if they have the solid state switching conversion however if you can find mid to late 80s Rover 216 (carb version) it has a really nice AC electric pump located just in front of the left rear wheel.
paulf

posted on 3/1/06 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Great thats just the sort of thing I was hoping to hear of , it seems all newer cars have in tank pumps and I dont really want to be messing around with electrics in the fuel tank.
I will try and find one tommorow.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
SU pumps are OK if they have the solid state switching conversion however if you can find mid to late 80s Rover 216 (carb version) it has a really nice AC electric pump located just in front of the left rear wheel.

paulf

posted on 7/1/06 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I considered that method, and also fitting a swirlpot in the tank, but went for a small swirl pot fitted to the rear bulkhead for ease of fitting.my prefered method would be to build a pot into the tank, but I have a steel tank with untreated inside and didnt want to risk welding it with out steaming it etc to make it safe but was worried it would end up rusty inside.
I may make another tank later with an internal pot.
I managed to make a good fuel pump from my collection of SU pumps so are going to use that to start with.
Will your suge pot fit behind the seat ok ? it looks as if it would foul the axle if fitted to my car due to its dia.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by CaLviNx
Hi

I am in the middle of making my swirl pot out of a milk flaggin I got for £2.00 and I managed to get the alloy pipe fittings off a fecked A/C pipe.

I am siting my swirl pot below the main tank just behind the seat and not using a low pressure pump as with the inlet bore will be enough to feed the swirl pot, the two smaller pipes are for a return from the fuel rail and the other will act as a breather into the main tank. I managed to get a brand new in-tank Fuel pump for a fiver so its being modded to be suspended just inside the swirl pot from the top, and due to the pots location it should always be near as dammit full.

Regards

[Edited on 7/1/06 by CaLviNx]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.