Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel tank electrical grounding.
bigandy

posted on 20/1/06 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel tank electrical grounding.

Evening all.

I'm planning to install an Aluminium fuel tank in my car, and I the plan is to use a bed of PU sealant on the ally floor panel, and a folder ally strap over the top to hold it down. It got me thinking about static buildup, sparks and petrol. Would it be wise to ensure that the fuel tank has a good electrical connection to the chassis (i.e. the negative terminal of the battery)?

What is the best way to go about this if it is required? Or is it something that should be avoided at all costs?

Any help would be appreciated!
Cheers
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

rusty nuts

posted on 20/1/06 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
You need an earth for your fuel gauge sender unit anyhow so make it a decent one.
DEAN C.

posted on 20/1/06 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Just think of it as extra boost!!!!

I just earthed the sender,this will earth the tank throught the fixing bolts/screws.

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

Chippy

posted on 20/1/06 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
I would make the point that you would be well advised to not only earth the tank, but also the filler. I was in a petrol station some years ago and a guy went to put petrol into a Dutton, static had built up in the filler, which wasn't earthed, and the resulting bang was quite spectacular. We managed to get the car out of the garage onto the verge, where it burnt to the ground before the fire service turned up. Fortinately nobody was hurt, but it could have been a lot worse.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.