Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Custom Pinto Inlet Manifold
GlynC

posted on 13/2/06 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Custom Pinto Inlet Manifold

Just aquired most of the bits to start my coversion to Megasquirt
Anyone know of somewhere I can get a inlet manifold fabricated to take my GSXR throttle bodies?
Or is there another way I should be going with this??
Had one quote of £240 which I feel is rather steep!
Cheers

muzchap

posted on 13/2/06 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
I have a mate who does some gorgeous ally adapters.

If you have a standard Webber branch inlet manifold he does adaptors to convert this to take Throttle Bodies :-)

M

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!

cryoman1965

posted on 13/2/06 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
I am currently making my own manifold for GSXR Carbs on to a Pinto.
Have plates Laser cut and Drawn 90% tubing ( in bent tube as the carbs need to sit at an angle to keep the float bowls level) although i believe TB's can sit @90% to the manifold plate. all in S/Steel. Just need to arrange Tig welding.
I am using the bike manifold rubbers to connect the Carbs to the Manifold although there are other options. Heat and fuel resistant tubing.(There are posts on the site of people using such items. I may be able to help with parts if required if you wnat to try to make tour own. U2U if u wish.
p.s what is your location.
see attached Rescued attachment Manifold Bits 001.jpg
Rescued attachment Manifold Bits 001.jpg

GlynC

posted on 13/2/06 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks lads
I had considered the cutting down of and old carb manifold etc. Do you have any pictures?
On the Stainless plate, how thick a piece of stainless are you using, and how will you connect the water take off, I can see you have the hole cut for that. As far as I know the throttle bodies can be mounted at right angles to the head which keeps the joining pipes simple. I should have all the parts this week so will have some measurements etc. I read about people using Samco hose to join them or petrol filler pipe. But would like to do a good job on these that looks nice.
What costs do you estimate for the work on either type?
Cheers

muzchap

posted on 13/2/06 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Glyn,

I can get some solidworks templates?

I'm going to use Fuel Filler Hose to connect mine to my Zetec. They will be adjacent to the head.

I need 48mm from head to Throttle Body and 51mm from Throttle Body to trumpet.

If you're going for SVA - I'd use marked fuel resistant rubber - well I am.

If you've already passed - samco is fine - people have tested and it holds up ;-)

Cost is tricky - as always... I'll let you know how much my m8's comes out at! :-)

Cheers,

Murray

If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!

paulf

posted on 13/2/06 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
I made a manifold for my crossflow from 10mm steel plate and some exhaust tubing.There are some photos in my archive.
Paul.

GlynC

posted on 13/2/06 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Manifold

Thanks Murray,
let me know about the templates assume I'd need the software? I was thinking of using a injection gasket as a starting point if I have to make it. Also have to get the fuel rail sorted, been quoted £25 for that which sounded reasonable.

Paul, thats a cracking job, looks like you put some hard work in with the hacksaw mate. The finished article looks very neat.
Did you weld the tubes on yourself?Thanks for the ideas chaps.

paulf

posted on 14/2/06 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I welded the tubes on using an arc welder and 1.5mm electrodes as my mig is playing up ,it was a bit tricky but turned out ok in the end .The worst bit was it pulled the plate quite badly out of shape but I managed to pull it in the vice and then filed back to a flat surface using a surface plate as a reference.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by GlynC
Thanks Murray,
Paul, thats a cracking job, looks like you put some hard work in with the hacksaw mate. The finished article looks very neat.
Did you weld the tubes on yourself?Thanks for the ideas chaps.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.