Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: EFI fueling system
cd.thomson

posted on 31/12/08 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
EFI fueling system

Morning everybody!

I'm about to buy my fueling system to fit a duratec (as soon as everyone gets back to work on Monday ) but I don't really know where to start.

I was originally going to fit a pinto, so: tank > fuel cut off valve > inline nylon filter > low pressure fuel pump > filter king > dellortos

I understand I need a higher pressure pump for EFI. The word "facet" seems to float around on ebay a lot too. Any advice for a setup with associated trusted suppliers would be greatly appreciated.

omega0684

posted on 31/12/08 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
you cannot use a the low pressure fuel pumps of an EFI System you need to get a high pressure pump! im running a pinto with efi and my set up go's

tank, low pressure pre-pump filter, HIGH PRESSURE Fuel Pump, high pressure fuel filter, then Trottle Body inlet, then fuel pressure regulator and finally return pipe back to the tank.

[Edited on 31/12/08 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 31/12/08 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
You can run a low pressure pump initially if you're running a swirl pot system. Some people don't bother and just run the high pressure pump (but equally some people run into problems).

Tank = low pressure filter = low pressure pump = swirl pot = high pressure pump = high pressure filter= fuel rail

You'll still need a high pressure pump though. Preferably one rated to your estimated BHP.

If you know you're estimated BHP you can work out your estimated fuel requirements and then choose a suitable pump. You can either try and find a second hand (try "inline Bosch fuel pump" in Ebay), look in various old VWs, or buy a new one for about £45 off Ebay).

The return from the fuel rail should ideally go back to to tank. Some people get away with running the fuel rail return into the swirl pot. Only problem then is if you're sat in traffic the fuel will be circulating around in the engine bay and gradually get hotter and hotter. Returning to the tank means cool fuel.... Worth it?!?!?!

rusty nuts

posted on 31/12/08 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Does your fuel tank have a built in swirl pot(reservoir) ? If not one way to get around not having one is to install a separate swirl pot fed by a low pressure pump(Facet?) which in turn feeds the high pressure pump via a fuel filter . If your tank has a swirl pot built in you do not need an external pot and low pressure pump and it may be possible to use an in tank pump .
cd.thomson

posted on 31/12/08 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys...

So...what on earth is a swirl pot?

AdamR

posted on 31/12/08 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Sure, you could fit a low pressure pump, swirl pot, HP pump and 2 filters etc etc, but why not make life easy for yourself and fit an in tank EFI pump like this:

Includes a built in swirl pot and level sender - all you need extra is a HP fuel filter.

Only downside is that you need a tank around 25cm high. Here's my implementation with the sender suitably adapted:

fuel pump in the tank
fuel pump in the tank

AdamR

posted on 31/12/08 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
PS. The above is a Land Rover item, of which there are a few similar variations. See this one on ebay.
cd.thomson

posted on 31/12/08 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
I dont really want to mess with the fuel tank, its complete as sent by Dax and I can't weld..

Everything has to be external.

BenB

posted on 31/12/08 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
A swirl pot takes the fuel from the low pressure pump. It's like an expansion tank for fuel (or that's how I think of it).

It's jobs are to remove air and provide a steady flow of fuel.

IE fuel comes in at the top at an angle, swirls round the sides of the tank, loses any air-bubbles as it goes, pick-up from the bottom of the tank to the high pressure pump.

This one's got extra attachments at the top incase you want to put the hot fuel coming back from the fuel rail back into the swirl pot to ensure it gets even hotter

dave1888

posted on 31/12/08 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Heres one suggestion Rescued attachment 20l_swirl_pot.gif
Rescued attachment 20l_swirl_pot.gif

dave1888

posted on 31/12/08 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
and another Rescued attachment 20l_without_swirl_pot.gif
Rescued attachment 20l_without_swirl_pot.gif

mark chandler

posted on 31/12/08 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
No need to throw lots of cash at a branded pump, something like this will be fine EFI pump

At this price no point in using a second hand one.

Just drop it by the tank or engine as low as possible if not running a swirl pot.

Cheers Mark

[Edited on 31/12/08 by mark chandler]

cd.thomson

posted on 2/1/09 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Brilliant guys, thats exactly what I needed.

I think I'll go for the swirl pot system as I'm trying to go highspec and it seems to be something thats fitted quite commonly in performance applications.

Many thanks.

cd.thomson

posted on 2/1/09 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
as far as low and high pressure fuel pumps go, what psi should I be looking for? I presume the one linked above is high pressure.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.