Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zx10 fuel pump question
matt_gsxr

posted on 14/4/09 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
zx10 fuel pump question

Hi there,

Does anyone have a zx10 fuel pump like this?

zx10_fuel_pump_sump_question
zx10_fuel_pump_sump_question

I see that the metal cover extends below the mounting ring with the tank. Is this a sort of sump to ensure that the pump always gets fuel?

If so, does that mean it can be mounted on the underside of a horizontal tank without problems.

Matt

matt_gsxr

posted on 14/4/09 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Paul,

I had seen those photos, I just wondered whether the sump on the tank is really necessary given that the pump seems to have a decent sump on it already.

I guess it depends on whether that metal bit on the pump below the tank level is full of fuel or pump.

Matt

dan__wright

posted on 14/4/09 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Matt

from memory it is a bit of a sump but its pretty small and has the pickup etc in there,the mounting on the bottom of my tank is probably 10mm so combined it should be enough.

whens your SVA?
Dan

matt_gsxr

posted on 14/4/09 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Dan,

That was what I was thinking, also the design of the filter means that air will tend to fall to the top of it.

I am developing a dislike for carbs, so was thinking about adding EFI to the GSXR1100. It could be a first step to a new engine.

SVA was last Wednesday.

I failed on:
emissions (pre 95, but far too rich, HC 3500, CO 5%)
light directions (out of adjustable range)
brake hose (no documentation)
speedo (separate battery, which isn't allowed now)
noise couldn't be tested as the engine wouldn't start at the end (too much carbon on plugs after idling for an hour)

Where did you get your emissions sorted out? Do you think they might let me play with my mixture screws?

Matt
Not a bad experience.

Matt

dan__wright

posted on 14/4/09 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Dan,

That was what I was thinking, also the design of the filter means that air will tend to fall to the top of it.

I am developing a dislike for carbs, so was thinking about adding EFI to the GSXR1100. It could be a first step to a new engine.

SVA was last Wednesday.

I failed on:
emissions (pre 95, but far too rich, HC 3500, CO 5%)
light directions (out of adjustable range)
brake hose (no documentation)
speedo (separate battery, which isn't allowed now)
noise couldn't be tested as the engine wouldn't start at the end (too much carbon on plugs after idling for an hour)

Where did you get your emissions sorted out? Do you think they might let me play with my mixture screws?

Matt
Not a bad experience.

Matt

not too bad all in all then.
for a carb engine maybe a color tune might be a good idea as you've got more relaxed standards.

i used a few mot places but couldn't get it, they let me tweak it at sva but again couldn't get it, gave it a full service, had a mobile tuner come out and stuck it on his gas tester and a 1% fuel change did it (was 1.04 lambda no 1.03 or under) but everything else emissions wise was much better, worth giving it a new set of plugs / oil / filter and see what difference it makes.

if your looking at changing to injection etc how much is a early injection blade? cant be much difference in price of a full efi setup vs a full blade engine?

good luck with the retest!

ps. my new prop should be here by the weekend so will get it fitted and can take you out for a spin, let me know when your free.

Dan

matt_gsxr

posted on 14/4/09 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
My plan is to get the carbs balanced, then give the colourtune a go.

I don't think it should be too difficult to get it to the right values.

The problem with engine changes are that there are loads of things to change, i.e. prop, engine mounts, manifold. I like the idea of injecting my engine, but it is a back of my mind sort of project (incidentally early blades engine would be a downgrade).

EFI set-up needn't be too expensive. Throttle bodies and airbox £90. Megasquirt or equivalent £200. Plugs and connectors £30. Fuel pump £40. Obviously a fair bit of buggering about (throttle bodies to head) and a bit more cost if I add a lamba sensor into the mix (another £140 for an LC-1)

Thanks for the offer of a blast, I look forward to it.

Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.