Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GSXR fuel system/pump question
striker4age

posted on 31/1/06 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
GSXR fuel system/pump question

Okay, Got my TBs, removed and blanked the second butterflies, I've cut a manifold flange and found some tube, so I'll be looking for somewhere or someone with TIG skills soonish.

My other question is, as I have the rail and some very new injectors I'm thinking of using the GSXR rail, but it only has one fuel connector with no regulator, how does it work?

Does something magic happen in the pump/tank that gives constant x bar pressure irrespective of demand?

Looks like I can attach a regulator to the rail, but I want to check the injectors are M3D compatable before I go drilling and tapping the rail.

stevebubs

posted on 1/2/06 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
hm....my Gixxer rail had a regulator with a return on it....
stevebubs

posted on 1/2/06 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
Looked like this...

DensoThingyOnGixxerFuelRail
DensoThingyOnGixxerFuelRail

stevebubs

posted on 1/2/06 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
Injectors should be OK with an Emerald...just measure the resistance across the terminals of one with a multimeter...

If less than about 13Ohms then you'll need an additional resistor pack to avoid burning out the Emerald's driver....

striker4age

posted on 1/2/06 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks again Steve, just so I can confirm, does the rail have a return, (or other connection) away from the regulator, or is the second thinner hose comming out of the regulator (on the left in the picture) the return?

Cheers for the info on the injectors, best make a by pass for the old balast resistor.

[Edited on 1/2/06 by striker4age]

GeoffT

posted on 1/2/06 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you may have the GSXR600 t/b's - I believe the pressure reg on these was mounted on the pump assembly. Unfortunately this is an in- tank unit, so won't be easy to adapt for locost use. I had this problem, ended up fitting a (slightly modified) gsxr750 regulator on the fuel rail, where the current fuel inlet is, then fitting a new inlet to the brass blanking plug at the end of the rail. All a bit fiddley really, you'll probably do best mounting an aftermarket regulator remotely from the fuel rail.
striker4age

posted on 1/2/06 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Geoff.

I've got a regulator (for another random Toyota car) when my last regulator seazed, and I've made that fit the 600 rail inlet, now, like you I just need to get the fuel in somehow.

Interested to know a bit more about your insert into the end of the rail, as that's where I was thinking myself. Oh and does the 750 rail have the same injector/bore spacing as the 600?

stevebubs

posted on 1/2/06 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by striker4age
Thanks again Steve, just so I can confirm, does the rail have a return, (or other connection) away from the regulator, or is the second thinner hose comming out of the regulator (on the left in the picture) the return?

Cheers for the info on the injectors, best make a by pass for the old balast resistor.

[Edited on 1/2/06 by striker4age]

Fuel is fed directly into the rail from the end

The larger pipe on the regulator is the fuel return

The smaller pipe goes to the vacuum ports and raises fuel pressure under load...

MikeRJ

posted on 1/2/06 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffT
Sounds like you may have the GSXR600 t/b's - I believe the pressure reg on these was mounted on the pump assembly.

My TB's have the same arrangement and I'm almost certain they came from a GSXR750.

GeoffT

posted on 1/2/06 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
I initially began drilling the end plug, intending to solder in a union without removing the plug. However whilst drilling the plug began turnng in the rail, and came out, still on the drill. Turned out it was either pressed or glued in, with an O-ring fitted to seal it. Removed the O-ring, soldered in the union, replaced the O-ring and epoxied the plug back in. You'd need to be confident in your work here, I'm sure you don't need me to warn you of the possible consequences of high pressure fuel spraying round the engine compartment....

IIRC the 750 rail has the same spacing, but uses different injectors, which have a different bore in the fuel rail. If I get a chance over the next couple of days I'll check that out for you.

striker4age

posted on 1/2/06 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
>>I'm sure you don't need me to warn you of the possible consequences of high pressure fuel spraying round the engine compartment....<<

Yeah, I could see that being a hot issue.

>>IIRC the 750 rail has the same spacing, but uses different injectors, which have a different bore in the fuel rail. If I get a chance over the next couple of days I'll check that out for you.<<

Different injector bores, wierd, still it's cheaper for them to make the rail fit. If you get the detail, cheers.

GeoffT

posted on 1/2/06 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Having checked the 750 fuel rail & injectors, the different bore size is actually the other end of the injector i.e. at the throttle body end, the fuel rail bore is the same as the 600.

The 750 rail *looks like* it should fit the 600 injectors, though without actually fitting it I couldn't give 100% assurance of this. The one I have is destined for a future project, but you're welcome to borrow it that helps at all. Depends where you're located I suppose, u2u me if interested.

striker4age

posted on 2/2/06 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks again Geoff.

I had a look at my rail last night, (and brought it in to the office too, just in case) and the injector/bore spacings are 80mm it also looks like the fuel rail fitting is the same for both my old Toyota injectors and the GSXR ones. Which all looks good.

I'll do a bit more digging and see what I can see. As far as location goes I'm near Basingstoke. I'm assuming U2U is a the button just below your post (new to this board.)

GeoffT

posted on 2/2/06 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Striker4age - you have u2u, sorry don't know your name! Click the u2u button below this post.

Geoff.

Link mentioned in u2u below:-

http://www.wscc.co.uk/area/thamesvalley/eventscalendar/PistonheadsWVFeb05.htm

[Edited on 2/2/06 by GeoffT]

rf900rush

posted on 5/2/06 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I used GSXR600K1 tbs on my Suzuki rf900rr power car using the a GSx1400 fuel pump (almost identical to the GSXR600) with a small home made stainless tank which house the pump.
Plus makes a good swirl pot.
This allowed me to use the inbuilt regulator and the same style of GSXR fuel rail.
The only down side is fixed pressure of 43psi and no flow through on the rail. But as this works on a 120bhp 600 I guess it will be fine on my 120bhp 900.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.