Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: inertia cut off switch
DaveFJ

posted on 1/2/06 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
inertia cut off switch

Is it true that you need an inertia cut off switch for the fuel pump (for SVA) if you have fuel injection ?

cheers

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

JAG

posted on 1/2/06 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know whether you NEED 1 to pass - but surely it's a good idea with FI running at 3 - 4bar?

I installed mine simply to make me feel a bit better. I can only imagine that if you have an accident and are trapped in the car it will be very comforting to know that fuel isn't gushing everywhere at 3bar pressure just because the pumps still running.

It just feels like a sensible thing to do. I paid £5 from a scrappy for one off a Rover 214/216/414/416 etc...

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

stevebubs

posted on 1/2/06 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
With my Emerald, the ECU shuts down the fuel pump when the engine isn't running. Only time it's active when the engine isn't is the initial short prime when you turn the ignition on.
MikeRJ

posted on 1/2/06 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
With my Emerald, the ECU shuts down the fuel pump when the engine isn't running. Only time it's active when the engine isn't is the initial short prime when you turn the ignition on.

Even the DIY megasquirt does this, as do most OEM ECU's. What it doesn;'t protect against is if the engine carries on running for a while after an accident.

stevebubs

posted on 1/2/06 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
good point...
BKLOCO

posted on 1/2/06 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hang on.... If the engine is running then the fuel supply isn't severed so surely there is no immediate danger.... If the fuel line is severed the engine stops so the ECU shuts off the fuel pump...QED.

Plus there is nothing in the SVA manual about a seperate fuel cut off.

[Edited on 1-2-06 by BKLOCO]

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

stevebubs

posted on 1/2/06 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BKLOCO
Hang on.... If the engine is running then the fuel supply isn't severed so surely there is no immediate danger.... If the fuel line is severed the engine stops so the ECU shuts off the fuel pump...QED.

Plus there is nothing in the SVA manual about a seperate fuel cut off.

[Edited on 1-2-06 by BKLOCO]

No. Could be the return line that's severed....in which case the engine would keep running until the pumps have emptied the tanks...

britishtrident

posted on 1/2/06 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
at 3+ bar all you need is a pin hole for a really hot fire.
BKLOCO

posted on 1/2/06 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Bugger....foiled again Holmes.....

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

paulf

posted on 1/2/06 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Where abouts is it located on the Rovers?I need to obtain one for my car.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by JAG
I paid £5 from a scrappy for one off a Rover 214/216/414/416 etc...

MikeRJ

posted on 1/2/06 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
The pressure line on my 16vGTE failed, a 6" length of rubber pipe that fits between the pump and the steel fuel line under the boot floor. I started the car up and noticed it was running quite roughly, but started to do a 3 point turn in the road and a bloke came running up to me waving his arms and shouting. Stopped the car and got out, to find a good gallon of fuel sprayed all over the road, gently eating into the tarmac.

Moral of the story is an engine can still run with a punctured pressure line...

Mark Allanson

posted on 1/2/06 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
The switches are so cheap, and easy to fit, it is never worth the risk not fitting one.

Mine came from a Punto Mk2 (inside the LH A Pillar base), the easiest are from P106/Saxo's, LH side of the engine bay on the bulkhead

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

NS Dev

posted on 2/2/06 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
I have been well and truly effed off with the switches in the past so I for one will NOT be using one!

Hitting bumps really hard sets them off, not what you want when trying to press on down the lanes!!! My XR4x4 does this occasionally, usually after minor airborne excursions, and it is very annoying.

(ok, i will admit not as annoying as being on fire!)

The likelihood of my aeroquip fuel lines failing in such a way that they would not stop the engine is low enough that I won't worry about it.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

JAG

posted on 5/2/06 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
The switch in the Rover 214/216/414/416 (pre 25/45 design change) is found inside the car. If you're sitting in the drivers seat it is behind the trim panels by your left knee.

It's inside the centre console and mounted just below and to the right of the radio.

I have had my Locost on the road for 12 months/4000 miles and it's never tripped out. But it does work - 'cause I test it occasionally (usually when I'm bored and the bonnets off the car )

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.