Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Toothed wheel trigger point
David Jenkins

posted on 27/11/06 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Toothed wheel trigger point

I'm in the process of fitting my toothed wheel, but there's one thing I'm not sure about - which bit of the wheel should be 90 degrees BTDC?

In the attached picture below, "A" is the dead centre of the missing tooth, "B" is where the leading edge of that tooth would have been, and "C" is the leading edge of the next tooth.

Which point should I aim the VR sensor at when the engine is at 90 degrees BTDC? (I think it's "A", but it's nice to get it right from the very start).

cheers,
David Rescued attachment dscf0023.jpg
Rescued attachment dscf0023.jpg

scottc

posted on 27/11/06 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
I would guess at point 'A' as that is where the tooth is missing from.

But its only a guess so another useless comment from me

whitestu

posted on 27/11/06 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
This might help [from MS website]

Description
Description

[Edited on 27/11/06 by whitestu]

paulf

posted on 27/11/06 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Point A , the centre of the missing tooth is correct.
Paul

David Jenkins

posted on 27/11/06 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent! Point "A" it is then (presuming that MS works the same as MJ - no reason why it shouldn't)

I panicked a bit when I saw "5 teeth ahead of sensor" but then I saw "EDIS-8" - phew!

David

paulf

posted on 27/11/06 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Set it 9 teeth past the sensor when the engine is at tdc, if the sensor is at 9 0clock the gap will be at 12 oclock when the engine is on tdc. I had to think about it when I did mine , it is a simple concept but seems to confuse many people and the more you think the more confusing it becomes.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Excellent! Point "A" it is then (presuming that MS works the same as MJ - no reason why it shouldn't)

I panicked a bit when I saw "5 teeth ahead of sensor" but then I saw "EDIS-8" - phew!

David

Peteff

posted on 27/11/06 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Does the nine teeth include the one that should be where the gap is? If the sensor is at 0900 and the gap is at 1200 then the gap is 270* before TDC isn't it? Sorry if I'm being obtuse but I'm trying to get my head round this as I've got a 1.8 zetec sitting in the shed which I am fitting eventually

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

paulf

posted on 27/11/06 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Dont fully understand how you mean, but if fitting a zetec then you dont need to worry as the flywheel has the trigger point built in , unless you intend using a CVH flywheel in which case you will need to fit a trigger wheel.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Does the nine teeth include the one that should be where the gap is? If the sensor is at 0900 and the gap is at 1200 then the gap is 270* before TDC isn't it? Sorry if I'm being obtuse but I'm trying to get my head round this as I've got a 1.8 zetec sitting in the shed which I am fitting eventually

David Jenkins

posted on 27/11/06 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
I cheated - after painting my pulley I made a mark with correcting fluid exactly 90 degrees prior to the TDC mark. If I put that on the block's timing mark then the missed tooth should be right under the sensor.

I hope that's correct!

David

Rob Lane

posted on 27/11/06 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
David,

It's worth downloading the msns extra manual in pdf. There's full details of the tooth setup in it along with diagrams.

The 9 tooth setting is correct.

Tried to upload it to photos area but can't. So it's on my site here :-

MSnSEXtra Manual

Rob

[Edited on 27/11/06 by Rob Lane]

Rob Lane

posted on 27/11/06 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Forget that, it's now out of date.

See here for better description.

MSnsExtra Manual

David Jenkins

posted on 27/11/06 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks to everyone for your info - I've been making up the bits & pieces required for the VR sensor and, at the moment, it seems to be coming together well. Once Namrick supplies the slightly-longer bolts I require then I'll know whether my design works!

Fixing this sensor is the hardest part - everything else is wiring & brackets (he says, radiating over-confidence). I can work towards fitting the rest of it while still playing with the car, until it's "cut-over time".

One question - my VR sensor's cable is too short - any ideas on how to extend it without compromising the screening? (I'll get the cable from the bloke who sold me the trigger wheel).

cheers,
David

BTW: Looking at that MS manual made me realise that I'm just not ready for that yet!

[Edited on 27/11/06 by David Jenkins]

paulf

posted on 29/11/06 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
It is possible to get the plug with pins and a rubber boot from Premier and some other wiring suppliers. I extended mine using RS232 network cable and just soldered and heatshrinked it originally.
I have since managed to remove them from Fiestas in the scrapyard with enough cable attached to allow installation without extending them .Fiestas are good as many have the senor wire running around the front of the engine and along the front crossmember to the edis on the wing.It is easy to get at and not to tied into the other loom as on some of the other cars.
The plug is a junior power timer type.
Paul.

Agriv8

posted on 5/12/06 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
going on a scrap yard raiding session this aternoon for the trigger sensor ( the trigger wheel is alraedy bolted to my crank pully - done on the last engine swap ). looks like a fiesta is the favorite due to the length of the connecting wire.

To save me getting to wet trough seracing what fiesta and approx age are likley candidates for me ripping the required bit off.

Ps dont need edis unit as my coils are driven directly from my VEMS unit

many thanks

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

paulf

posted on 5/12/06 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Any early 90s fiesta with the valencia engine will have one , it is mounted at the front of the engine with a single torx screw.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
To save me getting to wet trough seracing what fiesta and approx age are likley candidates for me ripping the required bit off.

Ps dont need edis unit as my coils are driven directly from my VEMS unit

many thanks

Agriv8

Agriv8

posted on 5/12/06 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
thanks paul.

didnt get away today bloomin computers at work playing up

Valencia engine not com across them ( moved onto VW's as I grew out of fords litterally )

thanks Again

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.