Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bungy jumping
Marlon

posted on 9/9/07 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
bungy jumping

good evening!! SWMBO would like a bit of advise!! Going to cairns next year and doing some bungee jumping, well i am anyway. swmbo wants to do it too but has a spinal problem and a dislocating hip (not that bad though as we scuba dive). Has anyone done it before and can therefore tell us how much force it puts on you. ie. is she likely to get whiplash from it? i think shes stupid but thought i'd ask you guys!! cheers for the help
thanks

John

Band Anyone?

Linky to SWMBO 's band
Linky to Brother in laws band
MKoc 1081

Confused but excited.

posted on 9/9/07 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
She want's to go bungee jumping with a spinal problem and a dislocating hip?
I concur with your diagnosis!

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

blakep82

posted on 9/9/07 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
never done it, but they do tie the rope to your ankles mainly. reckon that'll definitely pull her hip out. spine's probably going to be less risky, but i wouldn't

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Hellfire

posted on 9/9/07 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
I've done it a few times and it is a fantastic experience. It gives you one hell of an adrenaline rush. I'd highly recommend it for a fit person but not for someone with a spinal problem and dislocating hip There's every chance something could happen and IMO it's not worth taking the risk. I seriously doubt whether she would be allowed to jump anyway if the organisers knew about her condition.

Phil

[Edited on 9-9-07 by Hellfire]

JoelP

posted on 9/9/07 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
it does sound insane, but i guess the acceleration cant exceed maybe 2g anyway. Damage is more likely to occur when shes getting winched down rather than falling - when i pull my shoulder, its not usually when im using it. I actually stumbled down a step the other day and pulled my shoulder without even touching it!
Hellfire

posted on 9/9/07 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
If you have any of the following, you cannot jump with most organisers;

High Blood Pressure
A heart condition
Suffer from dizziness or epilepsy
Pregnancy
Asthma
Damage to neck, spine legs or eyes

If you watch bungee jumpers, some of them do actually get subject to quite violent whip. On the first recoil, they end up in a standing position and then start to fall 'feet first', you can imagine what happens when the bungee cord becomes tight again

Phil

[Edited on 9-9-07 by Hellfire]

RazMan

posted on 9/9/07 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I was advised not to do it with my spinal problem (3 prolapsed discs). Also, as I have broken the ligaments in both knees they said there would probably just be a pair of lower legs with soggy ends coming back up from the first bounce ...... I think he was joking ;

You will probably have to sign a waiver to cover the organiser's insurance requirements so if anything goes wrong (spinally) you will be on your own...... worth a thought.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 9/9/07 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Ive done it 2 twice Ohh er

( one tandem both me and the mrs strapped toggeter ) down in NZ .

Personally Id go for it as the whiplash wasnt that bad.

But suspect that it not worth the risk.

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Peteff

posted on 9/9/07 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen jumps where the cord is attached round the waist but that looked painful where the jumper folds in the middle. We were watching at a festival where they were still jumping at 2.00am in the morning and one girl had one leg come out of the harness, you should have heard her scream and they had to carry her off the airbag as she was in shock.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

02GF74

posted on 10/9/07 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
it does sound insane, but i guess the acceleration cant exceed maybe 2g anyway.

it is the decelertion when the elastic comes into play that is the bit too worry about, the acceleration downwards is gravity = 1 G.

Sounds like a bad idea if you have back and hip injuries - may get a way with it but worst case could spend rest of life in wheel chair. not worth the riks in m.o.

martyn_16v

posted on 10/9/07 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
You will probably have to sign a waiver to cover the organiser's insurance requirements so if anything goes wrong (spinally) you will be on your own...... worth a thought.

If they know about the condition then they probably won't let you go, waiver or not. In these litigious days the chances are a customer could still sue you for being grossly negligent and letting them do it even though they'd had it explained to them and signed a bit of paper

It doesn't half make you're eyeballs ache, they feel like they're going to pop out of your head after hanging upside down for a bit

Gergely

posted on 10/9/07 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
I have a spinal problem myself and would never do it. If the doctor says that heavy weights, extreme movements, bending bacwards should be avoided, he does it for a reason.
I wouldn't want to sit in a wheelchair just yet, so I never tried it and never will.
Shame as I like these thrills...

My advice: don't do it...

Gergely

[Edited on 10/9/07 by Gergely]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ibakes

posted on 10/9/07 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
How about tandem parachute jump????, would you still have the same problems?

Did one in New Zealand lasts a bit longer than a bungee, not much longer tho...

http://www.offroadrush.com.au/
did this in Cairns, was great, so much to do there you wont be bored

Marlon

posted on 10/9/07 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
First of all.
thanks for all the replies. I must say That I think our lass is insane for wanting to do this but she's a competative bugger and doesn't like to be beaton on anything especially her back! With that I have shown her all of your replies and asked what she thought?
She replied to me with this .... "I have e-mailed the company we would be jumping with, have a read of their responce" so here it is..

Hi Emma,
Thanks for your enquiry! And congratulations!

Bungy jumping is very gentle on the jumper, as the cord stretches up to 4
times it's own length. If you can jump up & down without pain or discomfort,
then generally it should be fine, however I do advise you consult a doctor
prior to participating, as you said - it would be jumping at your own risk.
Also so you know, the Minjin Jungle swing would cause no discomfort - so you
can definitely do this!

If you have further questions or would like to place a booking, please don't
hesitate to contact us!
Cheers,
Anna

Now I'm stunned to this responce but with a 100% safety record as boasted on their WEB SITE I think if she is gonna do it, there is the place to go for. I just dont think i'll be watching her!!

thanks again.

john.

Band Anyone?

Linky to SWMBO 's band
Linky to Brother in laws band
MKoc 1081

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.