Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Would this work - fuel cut off circuit
givemethebighammer

posted on 6/5/04 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Would this work - fuel cut off circuit

Been thinking about how to cut the fuel off in the event of an accident came up with this:

Using a changeover relay wired in parallel with the oil pressure warning lamp. Whilst the engine is stopped and the ignition is on, the lamp is lit, the relay is feeding power to pin 87 which is connected to nothing. When the engine is started the oil pressure lamp goes out and the relay switches the power to pin 87a which feeds the fuel pump. Power to both the lamp and the relay are both fed from the ignition side of the fuse box (only live when ignition is on). A bypass switch is wired in parallel to the relay to provide the ability to prime the carbs or as a "get you home measure".

Picture below should help. Only question now is what amp rating of relay to use. Rescued attachment fuel cut off.JPG
Rescued attachment fuel cut off.JPG

Hasse

posted on 7/5/04 at 05:41 AM Reply With Quote
Can´t see why not.

Any "normal " mini-type relay will do.

Don´t think the fuel pump will need more than max 10A.

Don´t use to big a relay, cause the current needed to operate the coil will be switched by the oil pressure switch, which may not be designed for very high currents.

givemethebighammer

posted on 7/5/04 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 20A changeover relay is this too big ?
A Badger

posted on 7/5/04 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Why not add a bypass circuit that is wired into the starter button/key, so whilst the starter motor is turning there is power to the fuel pump.

Though thinking about it this will happen anyway after a few turns cranking, so ignore me.

blueshift

posted on 7/5/04 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
you don't want to wait for the oil pressure to go high before you start your fuel pump. all the car wiring diagrams I've seen that incorporate oil pressure switches into fuel pump control have it set up so that the fuel pump runs while the starter is running OR the oil pressure is high.
MikeRJ

posted on 7/5/04 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Most production cars have a timer that briefly runs the fuel pump when you turn the ignition on, just to pressurise the injection system.
givemethebighammer

posted on 7/5/04 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'm running carbs so I hoped that there would be enough fuel in the carb bowls to get the engine started. If not I could prime the carbs with the manual overide switch.

The idea behind my circuit was that in the event of an accident the engine will have stopped but the ignition could well be still switched on. No sense in pumping more fuel into an area already at risk of (if not already) on fire. The oil pressure thing seemed the obvious answer.

People seem to agree the theory looks OK however I am looking for potential problems I might experience in reality

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.