Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ignition troubles
scoobyis2cool

posted on 7/5/04 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Ignition troubles

I am trying to wire up my pinto using my MK loom and have come across a few problems that I would be grateful if anyone could help me out with:

On the loom diagram there is something called the 'ignition unit', I assume this is the coil, can anyone confirm this?

On the loom diagram there are 5 wires to the 'ignition unit' as follows:

Black/white - to rev counter
Black - to earth
Green - to ignition via a fuse
White/yellow - to distributor
White/pink - to distributor

Now my coil only seems to have 3 wires coming off it - one black from one terminal and two green from the other terminal. How do I figure out which wires I should connect to where and which I do not need to use?

Also, do I need to use the ignition module (esc2?) from the donor or is that somehow incorporated into my loom?

Any advice to ease the confusion greatly appreciated!

Pete

[Edited on 7/5/04 by scoobyis2cool]

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 7/5/04 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
though i wouldnt profess to be an expert, i think the ignition unit is the same as the ign module. the wires from the sensor on the distributor go to the module, which also has an earth, a 'running' live, a 'cranking' live and one to the coil.

esc2 is a much more complicated unit, many more wires. not all needed though, so it can be simplified if you understand it.

my advice, flick thru the haynes manual and accept that the years/ models/ wires arent always correct. the theory is sound though.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 7/5/04 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Where abouts in the Sierra can I locate the ignition module?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 7/5/04 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scoobyis2cool
Now my coil only seems to have 3 wires coming off it - one black from one terminal and two green from the other terminal. How do I figure out which wires I should connect to where and which I do not need to use?

missed this bit. the green ones are the -ve feed to the coil, on also goes to the rev counter, this is where it takes its signal from.

JoelP

posted on 7/5/04 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Where abouts in the Sierra can I locate the ignition module?

on mine, twas bolted to the n/s innerwing, just behind the turret. near the brake bias thingy...

scoobyis2cool

posted on 7/5/04 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Could it be possible that the coil and module could be classed as the 'ignition unit' together? Its just that the ignition unit seems to have some wires (as described in my first post) that correspond to the coil.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 7/5/04 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
on mine, twas bolted to the n/s innerwing, just behind the turret. near the brake bias thingy...

Is it a fairly flat thing with about 8-10 wires going to it? if so then i think I might know the thing you mean. In which case I don't think it's an esc2 module because there arent enough wires, maybe it's an esc1? (the sierra is A-reg)

JoelP

posted on 7/5/04 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
actually, its not far off. i think it just misses the wire that feeds power in when the starter is turning. might not be necessary.

the two to the distributor are the sensor ones, telling the coil when to fire off a blast thru HT side of things.

the coil i always forget, but it was very easy on mine (probably why i cant remember it!). obvious the big on to the distributor, the green one is -ve and goes to the module, and the other side *i think* is the earth, but you wanna check that. my car isnt to hand at the min, its up at the new house... some one will know soon! actually, i can see the haynes manual, two mins...

JoelP

posted on 7/5/04 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
WRONG! the black on is apparently a live, from the ignition. the green ones come from the module.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 7/5/04 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
WRONG! the black on is apparently a live, from the ignition. the green ones come from the module.

Are you looking in the haynes manual? what diagram are you looking at (ive got 3 different manuals - two green and one newer blue one)

JoelP

posted on 7/5/04 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Is it a fairly flat thing with about 8-10 wires going to it? if so then i think I might know the thing you mean. In which case I don't think it's an esc2 module because there arent enough wires, maybe it's an esc1? (the sierra is A-reg)

this is what the chat room is for, i keep missing posts!!! the esc2 has around 25 wires, and the carb involved will have a 6 wire connector for the stepper motor. A reg does sound old for esc2, but as i say, im a keen amateur, not an expert!

JoelP

posted on 7/5/04 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Are you looking in the haynes manual? what diagram are you looking at (ive got 3 different manuals - two green and one newer blue one)

i was looking at 13.39, but a reg might be 13.26 not sure really...

scoobyis2cool

posted on 7/5/04 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote

this is what the chat room is for, i keep missing posts!!!

lol, sorry for the quick replies, i type pretty fast! i didnt even realise we had a chat room on here, news to me!

Pete

scoobyis2cool

posted on 7/5/04 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
By stepper motor do you mean starter or is this something else altogether?

JoelP

posted on 7/5/04 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
full name is 'carb stepper motor'. not a clue what it does (seriously, i couldnt even guess) but it uses 6 wires so its bad news by my books!

john the conrodkid is the man for this one really!

theconrodkid

posted on 7/5/04 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
the stepper motor is an idle control system,afaik it goes with the BIG type ecu,i dont think you could set the idle speed properly without all the gubbins,best is to use the simple non electric carb n small standard type amp.hth

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Peteff

posted on 7/5/04 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
The Bosch one.

The Bosch inductive discharge system is the easiest I think. It has the black box with 6 wires and was used on early 2.0ltr and 1.3 and 1.6 cars

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Jimbo

posted on 9/5/04 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
have a look here!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.