Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ignition feed wiring
shortie

posted on 30/8/04 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Ignition feed wiring

Hi guys,

Just having a conversation with Hortimech about ignition switch wiring and he has suggested using a relay from the ignition switch as technically it could be feeding 40odd amps with everything on.

Having looked at both my original blade loom and a vicki green one I have neither seem to use any relays and in fact only seem to have a 2mm feed wire from the ignition where I am already using 3mm.

Just wondered what others have done?

If anyones wants to check what I mean my wiring diagram is here..

http://www.shortshouse.co.uk/files/MK/indyblade_wiring_v1.10.pdf

ta,
Rich.

silex

posted on 30/8/04 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Are you using the keyswitch from the bike or using the one off the doner car as it came with the steering column ?

It makes a difference........

As a general rule bikes don't have the room for a lot of relays, etc so the key switch will be sufficiently big enough to handle the current. This however is rarely the case in a car. It is more normal to isolate the key switch with a relay and as such has a much lower current capacity.

So which have you fitted ?

Murphy's 2 laws

1. If it can go wrong it will
2. In case of emergency - refer to rule 1.

shortie

posted on 30/8/04 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
It's a car ignition but for SVA but will probably change for afterwards so might aswell put in a relay I guess.

Rich.

craig1410

posted on 30/8/04 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know what current rating the Sierra ignition switch is rated at? It has some bl00dy big wires coming out of it that's for sure!

I was just planning to use relays for stuff like the heater motor, radiator fan, and fuel pump (maybe also headlights and wipers) and drive the ignition coil and other ignition controlled circuits directly from the ignition switch via appropriate fuses.

Cheers,
Craig.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.