Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel gauge/sender reading reversed
StuartA

posted on 17/6/03 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel gauge/sender reading reversed

Got our lovely new gauges a few weeks back and went to try out our fuel gauge and sender last night. Wired it all up as per the diagrams, but the gauge is reading empty when float is at the top and vice versa. Took it all apart, tried rewiring, checked earth points etc, all to no avail. Check resistance from the sender and it all seems correct (logically speaking, least resistance at 'full'. Does this sound to everyone like the gauge is dodgy? That is the conclusion we reached. Anyone else had this problem?
Spyderman

posted on 17/6/03 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Do you have a side mount or top mount sender unit?
I you have the wrong one it will do this.
Have you tried bending the float arm so that it reverses it's motion?
This will depend on how it is built of course.

Terry

Spyderman

stephen_gusterson

posted on 17/6/03 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
the float with my vdo sensor can be mounted either side of the rotating spindle that controls the voltage - and only one way is correct. other reverses the reading.

atb

steve

StuartA

posted on 17/6/03 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
It is a top mounting sender, and it is definitely 'mounted' correctly. The actual arm that the float is on could theoretically be mounted the other way up, reversing the reading, but we have done it as per instructions.
We haven't actually modified it at all yet, as we wanted to try it before putting it in the tank. If we can't get it reading correctly without modifying then it will go back as it wasn't exactly cheap! I was just wondering if we had done something really daft with the wiring (although I can't think what).

DaveFJ

posted on 17/6/03 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Most instruction 'manuals' seem to be there to be interpreted, not neccesarilly believed........
stephen_gusterson

posted on 17/6/03 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by protofj
Most instruction 'manuals' seem to be there to be interpreted, not neccesarilly believed........

i write manuals for the equipment my company manufactures (as well as designing it) and most people dont read the manuals.

The bigger the manual, the less it gets read!

I cant imagine the electics are wrong, cos its basically a resisitor, that doesnt have any polarity.

I recon your float is mounted wrongly....

atb

steve

StuartA

posted on 17/6/03 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Just for the record, we measured resistance of the sender unit in both the 'empty' and 'full' positions. At 'empty' resistance was strongest (which seems to be logically correct... less juice going to gauge, should read empty) and vice versa. There are only two ways the float can be mounted, pivot at the bottom or at the top... instructions say bottom so that is how we mounted it! Admittedly if we mounted the other way up then it would work correctly, so perhaps the instructions are incorrect. I guess we are going to have to talk to the manufacturers (which is a pain as they are difficult to get hold of)
Mark H

posted on 17/6/03 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Aftermarket/kitcar suppliers hard to get hold off - can't believe that!!

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

MB

posted on 17/6/03 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I had exactly the same problem. I was using a sierra type sender. A slight modification to the sender sorted out the problem:

If you take the top off the sender, there is a circuit board with an arc of pick-ups which the float will contact to give different resistances at different levels. At one end of the arc there is a wire soldered to it. I just de-soldered the wire and attached it to the other end of the arc. There is a solder tab on the pcb you can use.

My sender / gauge now works fine

StuartA

posted on 18/6/03 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Well we sussed the problem out... the sender was installed correctly, but for the wrong type of meter!!! Huge apologies Steve, as it turns out the solution was just to turn the thing upside down.
stephen_gusterson

posted on 18/6/03 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
no need to apologise - nowt wrong and you are talking to someone thats been on TOL for over 2 years! I can take it.

atb

Steve

Mark Allanson

posted on 18/6/03 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
An easy solution is to turn your tank upsidedown
stephen_gusterson

posted on 18/6/03 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
An easy solution is to turn your tank upsidedown

in your job I bet you see that a lot....with the car in the same orientation too......

atb

steve

Mark Allanson

posted on 18/6/03 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, your'e right, only today I had a Fiat Punto sporting which had been innnocently hit from behind on a roundabout at about 20mph and it flipped - total loss, the roof at the front collapsed, the engine revved to 80,000rpm upside down and committed suicide, as usuall with modern cars, the driver escaped with only an indignant look on her face.

The only worrying thing is that it is identical to my normal road car, which is as stable as you could ever want, but evidently with abnormal loads (the git in the XR3i) does a vertical 180 at very low road speeds. There is more to this dynamics thing that just the car itself

stephen_gusterson

posted on 18/6/03 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
are you saying it literally turned over like a forward roll......the back just went over the front?

atb

steve

Mark Allanson

posted on 18/6/03 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
no, with the additional side forces as it when around the roundabout, coupled with the nudge from the XR3i, it rolled about its axis, but 80% of the weight in the front, it skidded down the road on the bonnet and front part of the roof
worrying!

James

posted on 20/6/03 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
You've worried me now- think I'll just walk everywhere from now on!
I doubt I'll ever actually finish the Locost anyway so that won't be a problem!

James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.