Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: digital rev counter
sg_frost
Builder

Posts 104
Registered 6/11/02

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roaster in college with students, gulp!

posted on 25/6/03 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
digital rev counter

anyone know how to build a digital rev counter, the type using 7 bit led number indicators, or where i can find a wiring diagram on this internet thingy!!
MikeRJ

posted on 26/6/03 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Maplin used to sell a kit might be worth chekcing their web site http://www.maplin.co.uk

However, digital tachometers are awfull, horrible things. You'd be far, far better off with a good quality analog style unit.

ceebmoj

posted on 26/6/03 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
hi I am producing theas that use a number of LEDs to signal the RPM if you are intrested then give me an email

However I do have a bit of a back log of devices to build because of problem with parts delivery at the moment

next weak some time I should have a section on the locost coop web sight.

blueshift

posted on 2/7/03 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
ooh, there's going to be a locost coop website? where?
ned

posted on 2/7/03 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
i know this was talked about a couple-a weeks ago.

any update on this?

where?

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichyMkIndy

posted on 7/7/03 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
what so you can supply me with a set of green-orange-red LEDS which will light up as the revs increase like on the F1 Cars?

if you can i would be very interested

Thanks

ceebmoj

posted on 7/7/03 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yes that is exactly what I can build you however I have a back log of stuff to do for other people first so there would be a bit of a weight involved and I would need to know what engine you have.
Bob C

posted on 17/7/03 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
digital rev counter

I'm making one too - going for row of LEDs, every 400rpm at low revs & every 200rpm over 7000 (yeah bike engine). The easy way to do this is count ignition pulses in a fixed time period, however this gives a lousy jerky response, so I'm measuring the time from one ignition pulse to the next and doing a 1/t thing. The other thing I'll be doing is to make the bar graph the shape of the engine's power curve. Should be fairly cool (I hope). Just using big 7 segment LEDs for mph & the 10 LED bargraphs for fuel oil and temp. ETA about 4 yrs.... (though I have some rtl VHDL already & a xilinx spartan dev kit to try it on)
Spyderman

posted on 17/7/03 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
I'm making one too - going for row of LEDs, every 400rpm at low revs & every 200rpm over 7000 (yeah bike engine). The easy way to do this is count ignition pulses in a fixed time period, however this gives a lousy jerky response, so I'm measuring the time from one ignition pulse to the next and doing a 1/t thing. The other thing I'll be doing is to make the bar graph the shape of the engine's power curve. Should be fairly cool (I hope). Just using big 7 segment LEDs for mph & the 10 LED bargraphs for fuel oil and temp. ETA about 4 yrs.... (though I have some rtl VHDL already & a xilinx spartan dev kit to try it on)

Sound interesting even though you are speaking a foreign language!

Terry

Spyderman

Bob C

posted on 18/7/03 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
digital rev counter

If a few folk were interested I'd do a proper kit, PCB and parts list; trouble is I won't need it for years so god knows when it'll be ready. It does what I want in a dash, not necesssarily to everyone's taste! I'll post more details when I've more hardware... Non linear analog tacho the shapoe of the power curve (that'll be the shape of a R1 power curve.....) everything dims in the dark (Headlights on) be about 3x6inches big. Outputs to drive LCD totalisers for odometer/trip.
cheers
Bob C

gra

posted on 31/8/03 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
Yes that is exactly what I can build you however I have a back log of stuff to do for other people first so there would be a bit of a weight involved and I would need to know what engine you have.

hi mate

do you know roughly what sort of price? for these, for a cossie engine

cheers

stephen_gusterson

posted on 31/8/03 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
many moons ago, I made a digital reve counter. It wasnt very readable. The problem with a rev counter is that the revs change very rapidly, giving a rapid changing numeric display thats very hard to make sense of!

A trend bar, or limit leds would be much easier for a human to make sense of.

atb

steve

ceebmoj

posted on 1/9/03 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Hi they are going to be some thing like 80 quid when I have finished them has it has taken me much longer than expected to develop them. To build a system that switch on an LED at various RPM is relatively easy. However the rev limiter has become something of a problem I just cant put down. I come up wit a nice solution and the I go to bed and wake up the next day with a better one. Witch is probably starting to annoy thowes who I have said that I am building one for already however the rpm limiting is now nice and progressive and does not lead to the banding that you get in lots of comershal systems.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.