Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2.0l Pinto not starting (Ballast Resistor??)
Mark&Alice

posted on 16/12/03 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
2.0l Pinto not starting (Ballast Resistor??)

Dear all,

Hoping you can help.
We have built a MK Indy, using a 2.0l Pinto engine.

The has passed its MOT, and will be put in for its SVA as soon as I can sort this problem out....

To start the car, it need to be jump started. Even with a fully charged battery, the car is not starting.

I am guessing that this may have something to do with the ballast resistor (or lack of it)

The ignition is dizzy/points. The coil (new from Car Spares) said it had a ballast resistor.

The starter motor has a "spare" terminal marked "IGN".

I am guessing that I need to run a cable from the IGN terminal to somewhere on the coil? - Can someone please point me in the right direction on this?

Many Thanks
Mark

JoelP

posted on 16/12/03 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
are you sure it is a 9v coil you got? cos that would fit the symptoms, that the starter takes too much current to get a spark,and jumping it just helps keep the voltage up enough. under cranking it it uses the full 12 to cover what the startrer is using, during running it resists it to 9v.
theconrodkid

posted on 16/12/03 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
if you have a resisted coil it will missfire and burn out in a very short time,you dont need resisted ignition really so wire it straight and put a std 12v coil on

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

JoelP

posted on 16/12/03 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
conrod, do you mean ballast resistors arent needed at all? and is mine likely to include a resistor in the ignition module (its a 1.6 OHC), or does it not need one?

which ones have to have the correct length wire up to the coil? thanks

edit: or is it just with the 12v coils you dont need them?

[Edited on 16/12/03 by JoelP]

chrisg

posted on 16/12/03 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
The ballast resistor is a length of grey wire on Fords, It's a device to help with cold weather starting, Like Conrod says get a 12v coil and run a 12vfeed to it.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

theconrodkid

posted on 16/12/03 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
joel,if you got electronic ignition it wont have ballast,if you got points,dont worry about ballast just use a 12volt coil,they are another thing to go wrong and were invented when the earth was cold before global warming,you will need the right coil to go with your system tho

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

JoelP

posted on 16/12/03 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
sounds good to me. So i need to check if it is 9 or 12v at the mo, and swap it if not. Thanks!
theconrodkid

posted on 16/12/03 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
should say if its resisted,if not get part no and check that out.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Stu16v

posted on 16/12/03 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
So back to the problem....

quote:

To start the car, it need to be jump started. Even with a fully charged battery, the car is not starting.

Is the engine turning over OK, just not firing? Or is it sluggish/refuses to turn?

As Conrod says, sort the coil thing out, but I doubt this is the cause of your problem. But check the voltage to the coil, incase it has the ballast resistor included into the wiring.

Dont just build it.....make it!

Mark_and_Alice

posted on 6/1/04 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
and the answer was.....

Thanks for all your replies. Over Christmas we had a good look at the car and sorted the problem out....

The coil is a 6-9v coil. We had a clean and constant supply going to it from the main loom.

After much head scratching we traced the problem to a duff starter motor. It was taking far too much current, hence it would not turn the engine over using just one battery, but when you attach it to a running battery via jump leads it would start. We put in a new starter on sunday, and she fired up first time!

Pictures in the photo archive.

Thanks for all your help!
Mark

[Edited on 6/1/04 by Mark_and_Alice]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.