Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: hid lighting
24vseven

posted on 29/11/08 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
hid lighting

hi has anyone any experence of this sort of thing
any poss faults concernes ect
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/H4-4-BI-XENON-HI-LO-BEAM-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-S-6000K_W0QQitemZ320269845801QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM? r />
cheers

[Edited on 29/11/08 by 24vseven]

[Edited on 29/11/08 by 24vseven]

TOO BADD

posted on 29/11/08 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Recently investigated the same. You can get a 8000 kit from www.espdesign.co.uk for the same money but.... The law states you must have self leveling lights and headlamp washers. This is not an mot check but insurance void in the event of an accident ???
I notice the seller does not notifiy the buyer of this regulation as most reputable ones do.

tegwin

posted on 29/11/08 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
8000 is way to blue for road use....

Most of the VAG cars with HID projector lights are 4000K.... some of the higher class ones are 6000..... but anything more than that and it gets pointless

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

MikeRJ

posted on 29/11/08 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
The higher the colour temperature, the lower the light output (and the sillier they look).

HID conversions are not really suitable for reflector type headlamps that are designed for filament bulbs, the shape of the light source is sufficiently different that you get poor focus and consequently a lot of light going in places it shouldn't (usually into the eyes of oncoming drivers). This doesn't stop Mr Chav fitting them to the headlights and fogs of his Corsa however

If you have projector style lights you don't get these problems since the beam is defined with a mask rather than a lens and reflector.

I've heard of quite a few early lamp and ballast failures from these Chinese kits, but not as many as I'd have expected given the relatively demanding currents/voltages and automotive environment coupled with typical Chinese "quality".

Keep the ballasts as cool as possible and bear in mind these lamps take around 23,000 volts to strike, so cutting and extending the wires is not a good idea.

Stott

posted on 29/11/08 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
don't get a 6000K kit, They are blue, I don't think any OEM cars use this temp, 4800K is ok, beam pattern is shocking as mentioned above but I run a 4800K H4 on my KTM enduro bike and it's tremendous. Also with all the smacks and water it's taken it really is quite impressive quality considering
Steve @ sVc

posted on 2/12/08 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Reasons not to use HID lighting.

1/. We have tried these from 3 manufacturers so far & I refuse to sell them at sVc because the ones we have tried are simply dreadful. The beam pattern is so bad on all the “normal” reflector lights that are generally used on our cars that I would suggest you steer well clear of them.

2/. Added to this the “grey” legal area re. self levelling suspension or self levelling lights (Hella do a kit that will measure the cars height from the road front and rear and with a series of servos keep the lights level, I didn’t ask how much!).

3/. A good few years ago I met the guy who was developing the lighting on the new and never productionised Jensen, who had suffered permanent retinal damage buy accidentally looking into one of these.

4/. H4 bi-xenon bulbs have the light sources so far apart that beam focusing can’t be achieved. Xenon/halogen H4 bulbs seem to have the HID xenon on dip and a poor halogen on main beam – this seems to be “arse about face” to me as I look for brighter lighting on dark country roads rather than in the city.

Added to this reliability seems to be low and the start-up voltage is high.

Hope this is of some help – the Osram H4, Silverstar 50% brighter bulbs are “E” marked so are road legal, are easy to fit and give a good light out-put, even for an eldery driver like me,

Regards Steve @ sVc

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
macca1

posted on 28/12/08 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have had lots of stuff from this Ebayer and can honestly say I've not been disappointed with either the product or the service.
Yes the beam aim can be an issue, but what I do is set the beam pattern on low beam as this is all you really need to use due to the fantastic output. I will only use either the 4.3K or 6K kits as they have the best output.

quote:

You can get a 8000 kit from www.espdesign.co.uk for the same money but

I may be wrong but the ESP kit looks like it is the cheaper 2 ballast kit with a sliding sleeve on the bulb, whereas the ebay kit is a proper hi/lo twin kit that has 4 ballests and a very simple plug and play wiring harness included.
They can even be supplied with some nice slimline ballasts if room is an issue.
The same seller also does some rather nice torches

dean100yz

posted on 29/12/08 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
I just emailed the guy on ebay about mine. What did you find better 4300 or 6000 and what differences did you notice?

Im readin mixed reviews on here but id have thought the light would have to be more clear? Its brighter??

Meeerrrk

posted on 30/12/08 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
H4 HID kits are a PITA!

becasue they need a switching unit to dip between hi/low beam it becomes far more complicated than an H7 set up.

ive had a few h7 HID kits, the best being the pilothid kit, fantastic & still going strong 4yrs on.

Ive also tried a few H4 kits and never been happy

I considered fitting an HID kit to my 7 but in all fairness, will you be using it at night THAT much to warrant the upgrade? in the end i went for some 80W replacement bulbs (tried and tested in most of my previous cars) and im well pleased with the choice.

Mark

[Edited on 30/12/08 by Meeerrrk]

For Sale : 2008 Aries/Stuart Taylor Motorsport Locoblade (954 Blade)

macca1

posted on 30/12/08 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

What did you find better 4300 or 6000 and what differences did you notice?

To be honest I really couldn't tell any great difference between these two it was only once you went over 8k did you start to see a blue/purple tint come in.

quote:

H4 HID kits are a PITA!

quote:

becasue they need a switching unit to dip between hi/low beam it becomes far more complicated than an H7 set up.

Not with these kits as they come with a plug and play harness including the relays, you just need a + and - supply and plug the original bulb plug into the same harness and it does it all for you.

Col

dean100yz

posted on 30/12/08 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Meeerrrk
H4 HID kits are a PITA!

ive had a few h7 HID kits, the best being the pilothid kit, fantastic & still going strong 4yrs on.

Ive also tried a few H4 kits and never been happy

I considered fitting an HID kit to my 7 but in all fairness, will you be using it at night THAT much to warrant the upgrade? in the end i went for some 80W replacement bulbs (tried and tested in most of my previous cars) and im well pleased with the choice.

Mark

[Edited on 30/12/08 by Meeerrrk]

I think there pretty much plug and play.

Pita??

Has anyone tried 80w or 100w as an alternative

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.