Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ultrabright leds
bigfoot4616

posted on 6/12/08 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
ultrabright leds

thinking about getting some new rear lights from svc.
how are they mounted to the bodywork? as i can't tell from the pictures on there site.
some people seem to fit them with what looks like the whole outer ring sticking out but i want them nearly flush.

as i'm doing a lot of rewiring work i will get a led flasher unit instead of resistors so does that mean fitting leds up front as well?

cheers

splitrivet

posted on 7/12/08 at 01:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfoot4616

as i'm doing a lot of rewiring work i will get a led flasher unit instead of resistors so does that mean fitting leds up front as well?

cheers

Cant help with the Svc lamps but your OK with an electronic flasher unit using standard bulbs upfront, the older type flasher unit is dependant on load to work properly an electronic isnt, HTH.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Hellfire

posted on 7/12/08 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
The SVC rear lights we have are mounted into a ring. The reason for this was due to the old lights being of the conventional type and they are quite deep. Without some sort of spacing they did not give adequate clearance and the shroud and wiring fouled on the tyre. When we replaced them with the LED's, clearance was not an issue as they are quite shallow (15mm'ish). It depends on your where you're mounting them, but personally I cant see LED's fouling, or causing you any hassle.

You may have a problem with flush mounting as they are modular and in being so have built in spacers on the external ring. These (3) spacers or lugs are then screwed into from the rear of the arch.

Hope this helps. Steve

Hellfire

posted on 7/12/08 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
If you look at the SVC Ultrabright LED Inner lamps, you'll see three lugs with holes in them. The LED outers have three threaded lugs in the same position. The outer and inner are then connected through the arch, like this;

Rear LED Mounting
Rear LED Mounting

The LED's could be mounted flush with a bit of work, as the outer ring does have a slight lip on the outer edge. Not much though, maybe about 2mm, so your holes would have to be accurate and you'd have to come up with a suitable method of fixing them. Don't forget also, that if you fit them flush, they'll protrude into the wheel/tyre space where they'll get covered with water and dirt. The extra effort isn't worth it IMHO but if you want to fix them flush, it can be done.

Phil

bigfoot4616

posted on 7/12/08 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
the rear of the lights would be into the boot area so no problem there.
at the moment there is some 90mm holes there so it sounds like i would have to enlarge them and sort some way to fix them inside the bodywork, maybe make some sort of bracket and fiberglass it in there

cheers

Steve @ sVc

posted on 8/12/08 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
We have 2 types of the UltraBright LEDS, the "Mix nd Match" that Hellfire (Steve) uses and the 95mm ones.
Give me a call and we can discuss fitting them and the options regarding the LED indicators.

From a land line you can call at a local call rate on 08 456 581 251.
From a mobile: 01827 67714.
Thanks Steve @ sVc

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigfoot4616

posted on 8/12/08 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
its the mix and match i'm after.
will give you a ring

WanchaiWarrior

posted on 9/12/08 at 02:25 AM Reply With Quote
and Im sure Ive read somewhere of someone creating a tube type thing to hold/mount the light and fibre glassing it to the inside face of a boot area, "frenching" or some such type word. Sorry cant be more specific.

bigfoot4616

posted on 9/12/08 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
thats basically how i was thinking of doing it
MikeRJ

posted on 9/12/08 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WanchaiWarrior
and Im sure Ive read somewhere of someone creating a tube type thing to hold/mount the light and fibre glassing it to the inside face of a boot area, "frenching" or some such type word. Sorry cant be more specific.

'Frenching' is exactly the right word. Should be simple enough to make a wooden mold to form some small "buckets" that can be glassed behind the rear panel. My uncle did exactly this on his GTM and it worked out very nicely.

bigfoot4616

posted on 10/12/08 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
ordered them now, only problem is i'm not allowed them untill Christmas.
Vindi_andy

posted on 12/12/08 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
i have got the hella mix and match LED lights from SVC and yes they do have a slight lip meaning that they would only protrude from the bodywork at most 5 mm

When I spoke to SVC about how to mount them they suggested some stainless steel brackets shaped like a Z with a vertical bar rather than slsloped with one leg screwed to the lights where the inner lights screw to the outers and the other against your bodywork.

I hope you understand what I mean

bigfoot4616

posted on 12/12/08 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
not quite sure how you mean regarding the bracket.
i've got an idea of how i'll do it

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.