Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: HUD speedo idea
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/1/09 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
HUD speedo idea

Hi

I’ve noticed that some modern cars now have the speedo projected onto the windscreen like a plane HUD, I was thinking of doing the same but cooler for the Bluebird cos it would have the rpm and fuel by simply using an Acewell digital speedo. Using a mirror and a vacuum formed compartment recessed into the top of the dash it would reflect in the glass quite well even in the daytime. I was going to design it in CAD after measuring the dash and windscreen angles. Anyone done something like this?

just thought my GPS fitted like this with remote buttons would be pretty smart too

I recon that even with the GPS the unit would be only at most 4x6 inches in size so really would take up little space

[Edited on 9/1/09 by Mr Whippy] Rescued attachment projected dash.JPG
Rescued attachment projected dash.JPG

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 9/1/09 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
oooh, I can just see it now .... Rescued attachment hud.JPG
Rescued attachment hud.JPG

AR-CoolC

posted on 9/1/09 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
What you need to know is though, that the windscreens in cars with HUD are moddified.

The screens are very slightly triangulated by the interlayer i.e. the glass is thicker at the top than at the bottom. This stops you getting a double reflection on the two layer of glass.

Imagine what it would be like if there were no hypothetical situations.

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/1/09 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
oooh, I can just see it now ....

LOL hope not!

interesting about the glass, I'll have to see by holding up the GPS to the glass, good info though

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 9/1/09 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I don't think it would be back to front and upside down.

If you placed it upside down to start with, then two "mirrors" (i.e. 1 mirror plus the screen) would make it appear the right way up and the right way round

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/1/09 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
quote:

I don't think it would be back to front and upside down.

If you placed it upside down to start with, then two "mirrors" (i.e. 1 mirror plus the screen) would make it appear the right way up and the right way round

yip, that’s how it works. As for the double refection, I think if it is desplayed at eye level then the refection should be mostly behind the main image so should not be to much off and issue, we'll see

[Edited on 9/1/09 by Mr Whippy]

JC

posted on 9/1/09 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Can't say for the car ones, but aircraft HUDs are focussed at infinity, enabling you to look through them at the world outside, not focus on the HUD itself. Can't remember enough O level physics to work out where your idea would focus! Did however see something similar on a TV programme which used a laptop with screen reversing software, and used a CD case as a flip up screen!

[Edited on 9/1/09 by JC]

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/1/09 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
well the focus will be about a foot outside of the windscreen, much the same as a refection of the top of the dash appears in the glass. I think the production cars type will be the same unless they have some cleaver lenses in there.

AR-CoolC

posted on 9/1/09 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
well the focus will be about a foot outside of the windscreen, much the same as a refection of the top of the dash appears in the glass. I think the production cars type will be the same unless they have some cleaver lenses in there.

The one's I've seen in the BMW 5 series have the image focused at the end of the bonnet-ish.

Imagine what it would be like if there were no hypothetical situations.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.