Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fog light in the rollbar
steve m

posted on 27/6/09 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
fog light in the rollbar

I was thinking about sticking a fog light into the rollbar, somthing along the lines of this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12V-24-LED-Car-Brake-Rear-Stop-Fog-Tail-Red-Light-New_W0QQitemZ270416009510QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM? hash=item3ef60cd926&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A1%7C39%3A6%7C72%3A1683%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A24

The plan was to for it to be used as a 3rd brake light, but also have it switched to operate as a fog light, i believe this can be done by placing a diode in the circuit

but were !! and what type of diode do i need

any ideas ?

regards

steve

RK

posted on 27/6/09 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Having suffered with this kind of thing for 3 or 4 weeks, I can say that I doubt you will need a diode. Put power to any LED and it will light up; diodes and things are for dimming or flashing. It will all depend on your wiring as to whether it works as a brake or fog light.
norm007

posted on 27/6/09 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
You need a 5 x pin, double switching relay.
Then basically you take 1 wire to brake light, the other to your fog light switch. Which gives you a full time brake light, but then becomes a permanent fog light when switched on.
I can let you know the relay ref number tomorrow.

[Edited on 27/6/09 by norm007]

Something about this, so very wrong.....I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn`t like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BenB

posted on 27/6/09 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Couple of diodes would do the trick nicely.... (ie one in each wire going to the light).
adithorp

posted on 27/6/09 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
You need a diode in the feed from the brake light/switch to stop the fog light feed from back feeding to the brake lights.
Legally speaking, fog lights and brake lights can't use the same lamp but must be separated by 100mm.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Macbeast

posted on 27/6/09 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't there a maximum height for a fog lamp to avoid blinding the bloke behind ?
thunderace

posted on 27/6/09 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
i have also looked at this sort of thing look here there are better ones and cheep

http://www.dealextreme.com/default.dx/r.74128698

bob

posted on 27/6/09 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Steve does this mean the locost is heading for the road again for its 10th birthday ?

steve m

posted on 28/6/09 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Bob

mmm. possibly, but its 10th birthday was may15 2009
But it will be on the road next year, with modifications

steve

Steve @ sVc

posted on 30/6/09 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
There are 4 levels of brightness regarding red rear lights. The very brightest is the rear fog light, for obvoius reasons. This is why your SVA/IVA inspector will look for the small "f" on the lens of the light.
Less bright are the stop lights, then even less is the high level brake light. This is so it does not dazel the following vehicles (too much). Then, of course comes the rear "side lights".
So, if you use a high level brake light, it will be no where as bright as you might want if you are driving a very low car in the fog.

best wishes Steve @ sVc

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.