Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: daytime running lights?
blakep82

posted on 12/10/09 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
daytime running lights?

what are they?

i seen this on CBS:
------------------------------------------------
IVA rules state that Daytime Running Lights must come on with the ignition and turn of when the headlamps are turned on. This module controls this function automatically for LED lights ONLY. Input leads 1 mtr long. Output leads (for two lamps) 1.7mtrs long with male and female bullet terminals.
--------------------------------------------------

here
first i've heard... can't find anything in the manual either

am i missing something?!

[Edited on 12/10/09 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

luke

posted on 12/10/09 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Daytime running lights are what the audis are fitting now. strip of LEDs along the underneath of the headlights

i heard on grapevine they will become compulsary on all manufactured cars, dont know when, or wether it affects kit cars too.

EDIT just looked in IVA manual, section 22, listed as optional.

[Edited on 12/10/09 by luke]

Humbug

posted on 12/10/09 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luke
Daytime running lights are what the audis are fitting now. strip of LEDs along the underneath of the headlights

i heard on grapevine they will become compulsary on all manufactured cars, dont know when, or wether it affects kit cars too.

I think the Audis look like they have disco lights on them, especially the ones where the strip of lights is curved

Humbug

posted on 12/10/09 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luke

I think the Audis look like they have disco lights on them, especially the ones where the strip of lights is curved

blakep82

posted on 12/10/09 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
audi's look cool
so are they basically sidelights then?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

luke

posted on 12/10/09 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
basically yer,

they run on the same principle that volvos use, any aid to make it slightly more obvious that there is a big chunk of metal there.

Canada EH!

posted on 12/10/09 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Been run in Canada for years, ususally main beam headlight with a resistor to make it less bright, some are triggered by the light switch, others by the speedo sensor.
Of late many new North American cars are using the turn indicator bulbs on both sides at the front.
Law requires two lights at the front of the vehicle one on each side, no rear lights.
Some Japanese manufacturers just have all the normal road lights come on with the run side of the ignition.

matt_claydon

posted on 12/10/09 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
They are not like side lights, they are far brighter. That's why they have to go off when the headlamps come on, otherwise they would dazzle other people at night.

They will be becoming compulsory for Type-Approved cars in the future.

mad4x4

posted on 12/10/09 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Ebay you can get strips of LED's for about 8 quid - Very bright Could be mounted in the nose cone sunk into the front edge of a cycle wing to give that cool AUDI LOOK

EABY AUCTION 260450553676

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

Ninehigh

posted on 13/10/09 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like they'll be doing this in preparation for the influx of electric vehicles...

blakep82

posted on 14/10/09 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
ah, right, i get it now, just looked up section 22, they are optional, but IF you have them then, IVA rules state that Daytime Running Lights must come on with the ignition and turn... blah blah blah.

won't worry about that for now then
maybe by the time this car's done tho...

Ninehigh

posted on 14/10/09 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
So does this mean you can't have sidelights hardwired to the ignition so they're always on when driving?

Steve @ sVc

posted on 15/10/09 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
As far as I know ......... ............ day-time running lights will be compulsory on new vehiclesregistered at a ate I have not been told of yet, in 2010. IVA does not seem to have addressed this as yet. However, if they decide that it is needed the lights will have to be “E” marked as daytime running lights. As previously stated these are far brighter than side lights, and because of this must be off when you turn your lights on, after sun-set.
We have looked at 8 of these and have not found (yet) any that seem to be cost effective, are not huge AND are “E” marked for purpose.

Regards Steve @ sVc

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 15/10/09 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
So does this mean you can't have sidelights hardwired to the ignition so they're always on when driving?

I believe you can.

If you have daylight running lights do they mean you don't require sidelights? (which would be a bit pointless if you did)

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

David Jenkins

posted on 15/10/09 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
The thing to remember about 'sidelights' is that the IVA manual calls them 'position lamps', i.e. they tell other motorists where you are when you're parked.

You probably wouldn't want to leave those driving lights on for a couple of hours without the engine running, plus they'll really pee off passing motorists.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.