Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Third brake light fog light
speedyxjs

posted on 9/12/09 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Third brake light fog light

I know there was some talk a while back about using a third brake light as a fog light but dont think it was ever cleared up.

Can anyone confirm whether using a third brake light as a fog light is IVA ok or not?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

blakep82

posted on 9/12/09 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
i don't think it is.

the fog light needs to have an F mark on it or something. the reflector is different i'm told

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

speedyxjs

posted on 9/12/09 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Ah well, worth a try

blakep82

posted on 9/12/09 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
actually, reading the manual it does say something about converting a brake lamp, but i'm not sure it can be done. worth reading it for yourself, page 195 of the latest manual.

i'm looking at audi ones. from the TT, they look like brake lights

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

turbodisplay

posted on 9/12/09 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
I`m using a brake light off a fiat coupe for fog.
I put a halfords extra bright light lo make it look brighter.
I know sva allowed "equivilent characteristics", don`t know about iva.
Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
boggle

posted on 9/12/09 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
am sure with the new iva it has to have a different lense and be brighter than the brake lights....
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

speedyxjs

posted on 9/12/09 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Am i right in thinking it also has to work with dipped and main beam? So it can work with side lights?

Findlay234

posted on 9/12/09 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, thats made me think about a possible mod for the future.... putting in a dual bulb into the fog light so you still have the fog as a high power fog but then also have a lower power 3rd stop as well.... hmmm

Helps that my fog is centre high on rear panel..

Cheers

iank

posted on 9/12/09 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Fog lights MUST have an F (or a B) mark along with the e mark (requirement 16 in the IVA manual).

The equivalence thing for SVA didn't apply to fog lights IIRC, but even if it did IVA removed that possibility.

SVA manual was £35, but IVA manual is a free download from VOSA. (hint for those who are still guessing/using 'it passed SVA' arguments)

blake: Can't see anything in the very latest manual (dated 29/06/2009) about combining brake/fog lights, except for a note waiving B/F marks if it's a mass produced American Vehicle approved by FMVSS or CMVSS.

[Edited on 9/12/09 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Steve @ sVc

posted on 9/12/09 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
For IVA, you will have to have a correctly marked rear fog light – this will have both “E” and “f” marks on the lens. The lens will have to be vertical.
The rear fog light is the brightest of all the red lights at the back of the car – in order from less bright to brightest they are as follows: Rear “tail light”, High level Brake light, Normal brake Lights and finally – at the top of the list we have the rear fog light!
One of the kit car mags got it wrong a few months ago, the car they built had a brake light fitted for a rear fog light – it failed SVA.

Hope this helps, Steve @ sVc

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 9/12/09 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
my two thoughts are-
What about the fia approved rain lights? Also if you want a round iva suitable fog light then get one from a ford ka sport. Im sure they are circular and central but low to the ground.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

iank

posted on 9/12/09 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
my two thoughts are-
What about the fia approved rain lights? Also if you want a round iva suitable fog light then get one from a ford ka sport. Im sure they are circular and central but low to the ground.

Does the FIA approved rain light have an E and F/B mark? If not you're out of luck.

Ka one should be fine assuming it has the marks where the tester can see them and it's mounted appropriately.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.