Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Opinions on this dash please
turbodisplay

posted on 7/4/10 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Opinions on this dash please

Currently doing the next dash in the range, looking to have a dial for rpm on this one. For bec I`m lookin to make a 14k rpm dial, is this high enought or do I need 15k?
Just wondering what people think/improvements?

The Gear and speed indication will be top left, the bottom right will have a 20 character, 4 line display.

dash2
dash2

Also I could probally do with a better name - any sugestions?

Thanks
Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Richard Quinn

posted on 7/4/10 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Dunno. Darren seems ok to me
Is the tacho analogue or segment LCD/LED thingy? The rest of it looks fine to me.

ETA - 14k is probably ok for most. Certainly ok for me as the max rpm logged on my V twin is "only" 11,450

[Edited on 7/4/10 by Richard Quinn]

turbodisplay

posted on 7/4/10 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the reply.
Analogue pointer- using a stepper motor, so accurate indication of rpm. Might put more segments to indicate 250 and 750 divisons rather than just 500 rpm markers .

Thanks
Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NigeEss

posted on 7/4/10 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Looks a bit odd with the 3/4 circle tacho and a big space. I'd prefer a full circle.

Other than that, looks good.

deltron63

posted on 7/4/10 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
looks good but needs a full tacho
TimC

posted on 7/4/10 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
14k will be enough for the vast majority.

Can you use the space where the tacho is blanked for a proper shift light?

If so, I'd be very interested.

Hammerhead

posted on 7/4/10 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
my effort (with shift light) I'd suggest trying to keep all the most vital info to the centre.

Image deleted by owner

turbodisplay

posted on 7/4/10 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hammerhead thanks for the input, that does look better! Much aprecciated!
The smallest lcd is about 45 * 80 mm so might work that way round. I like the shift light idea, maybee a large RGB led so the colour can change at the shift point.

Ill look into that and see if it is possible.

Thanks
Darren

franky

posted on 7/4/10 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
are you having a decent motor on the tacho? A layout like stack's would be best IMO...
AndyGT

posted on 7/4/10 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Just my 2peneth, but why not stick to your original layout and put the gear in the empty space next to the tacho and a shift light as described in the space made by moving the gear indicator?

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

turbodisplay

posted on 8/4/10 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Looking at using the stepper motor used in bmw dashes so will be a good motor.
A stack style layout will require a new case to be made up.
I`ll have a play with both layouts then do a poll.
Thanks
Darren

scudderfish

posted on 8/4/10 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
I really like Hammerhead's layout. However don't forget us CEC owners, my engine redlines at 6k RPM, and the big thing coming out of the tunnel is my gear indicator
MikeRJ

posted on 8/4/10 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turbodisplay
Looking at using the stepper motor used in bmw dashes so will be a good motor.

The driver makes as much or more difference than the motor. Micro-stepping is essential to get smooth movement on tachometers and speedometers with commercial gauge steppers. There are a few manufacturers that make driver ICs that do all the hard work for you e.g. Freescale.

hicost blade

posted on 8/4/10 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
I would be tempted to go for a shape you can see through a steering wheel, I had a quick sketch over lunch break. This is the kind of thing another manufacturer is looking at doing very soon

Description
Description

turbodisplay

posted on 8/4/10 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
It will be used with a driver that does mirco stepping.
Hicost, that does look good!, problem is that the case will cost many £, if I use CNC ali.

The RPM dial will be an insert, if it does not cost too much it may be worth making a 0-7k rpm face.
Thanks
Darren

[Edited on 8/4/10 by turbodisplay]

hicost blade

posted on 8/4/10 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
How is your case made at the moment?

I would low pressure die cast it, the first few could be sand cast.....I know a guy........

turbodisplay

posted on 8/4/10 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
I tried casting, problem is that there is non linear shrinkage and air pokets that ruin the finish, if it is then CNCmilled it works out more expensive than CNC milling a solid block.

Thanks
Darren

hicost blade

posted on 8/4/10 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
I had another little go, you could vacuum form it.....

Description
Description

turbodisplay

posted on 8/4/10 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hicost that is an amazing bit of art!
I think it may have to be CNC milling or the idea of vacuum forming might work, did that is school and found out it is not as great a process as it would appear to be. Mainly because it was not too accurate and secondly it did not like forming in corners.

I`ll have a play in CAD and get some mockups done.

Thanks
Darren

hicost blade

posted on 9/4/10 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
^^ Is a combination of Solidworks and Photoshop. Vacuum forming can be quite accurate if done by the right people in the right material, many products are vacuum formed that people would swear blind they are injection moulded.

I would still look into casting it, a mould with correctly designed runners and risers, uniform thickness would allow the aluminium to flow and cool properly, or chuck £6,000 at it and get an injection moulding done.

[Edited on 9/4/10 by hicost blade]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.