Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any masters of the dim/dip Sierra switches?
Avoneer

posted on 10/5/04 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Any masters of the dim/dip Sierra switches?

Hi Guys,
Having real difficulty getting the dip beam to come on with my premier loom. Full beam is fine if you flash (only with ignition on) and side lights come on regardless of ignition position. All indicators work fine as well. Relays are fine as well. Just nothing when the Sierra stalk is in the "second" position.
Please help. This is my second loom due to faults with the original Tiger one and I was almost ready for MOT/SVA and am way behind with my build now. This is seriously depressing to the point of almost selling the whole thing.
Cheers,
Pat....

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 10/5/04 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Check to see if you have power from switch down to relays. if not, check fuses also for power out of dipswitch for both main and dip beam. also check that you have wired up block connectors on switch correctly (sierras used different switches, part number is on switch . check premier wiring instructions) also that connectors for relays are wired right. Rusty
Avoneer

posted on 10/5/04 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Checked everything over and over again. Power in to the relay and everything. Just doesn't seem to "click" the relay when you flick the switch to the 2nd click for dip beam.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 10/5/04 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
double check that the relay block connectors are wired up correctly . had a small problem with my loom from premier , found the wires on one relay connector had been put in wrong, used a small pointed screwdriver to release connctors and refitted correctly, hey presto it all worked. hope this helps. Rusty. P.S may be worth getting a mobile autoelectrician to look at it for you??
Avoneer

posted on 10/5/04 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Have you an earth wire on each stalk?
This may be the problem. I only have one at the moment to the light switch screw?
Pat...

rusty nuts

posted on 10/5/04 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Pat . Pass , but I will try to check for you tomorrow evening , car is about 15 miles from home . will let you know, have you got premiers wiring instructions?? when I had my problem I found the wires had been put in the block connector in mirror image of what the should have been. Rusty
theconrodkid

posted on 10/5/04 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
some(later)switches switch to earth,therefore the relay would be wired up diffotly

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Avoneer

posted on 10/5/04 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
3 chuffing days of back breaking sore knee labour and I've just sorted it!!!!!
On the '87 on-wards switches - you need an earth to the spade connector on the top of the light/wiper stalk. And now eveything works.
Cheers guys. This may be why my original loom was playing up, but you live and learn. I'm just happy now. Going to sit in a dark garage and switch my lights on and off for a few hours!!!!!!!
"Happy" Pat...

Fifer

posted on 11/5/04 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
FYI, I had the same issue, really pi**ed me off for a day or two till I found it.
Does anyone (like me) think that even though there are many different sierra arrangements to cover, the loom manufacturers could do a little more in the way of some drawings showing one, two, or even several diferent options which we could then study to decide which one we had then follow the diagrams etc.
I for one struggled with the wiring of my car and I work with pretty complicated contrtol wiring at work but found the instructions for my loom very vague and in fact incorrect in a couple of cases.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.