Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA compliant 350mm steering wheel?
stevegough

posted on 13/10/10 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
IVA compliant 350mm steering wheel?

What does the 'team' think? - maybe a bit teutonic for a se7en? But not bad at £40? Padded centre - might even satisfy the regs?

No good for me though - if I take the Sierra wheel off, I lose the steering lock which will mean adding an immobiliser or similar.

Anyway, might be to someone's taste on here?

Wheel

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

loggyboy

posted on 13/10/10 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
What does the 'team' think? - maybe a bit teutonic for a se7en? But not bad at £40? Padded centre - might even satisfy the regs?

No good for me though - if I take the Sierra wheel off, I lose the steering lock which will mean adding an immobiliser or similar.

2 questions - does thje sierra wheel really link to the steering lock? I thought it was connected and activated within the column its self.

Even if that were so, are you not planning on having an electronic imobiliser installed anyway, I dont think id want to rely solely on a steering lock to protect my car?

[Edited on 13/10/10 by loggyboy]

jack_t

posted on 13/10/10 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
the steering lock works by a spring loaded lever that latches onto the the inside of the the steering boss ( lots of teeth lining the inside of the boss) which is part of the sierra wheel

i have a momo wheel on my car which has a boss that has the teeth on it so i still have the steering lock

Stott

posted on 13/10/10 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
The sierra steering lock shoots a square edge pin into grooves in the inside of the steering wheel on mine ('86 mk1 Sierra)

I've got a mountney boss which also has the grooves but less of them , so my steering lock still works with an aftermarket wheel, just a thought, in case you did want to swap prior to IVA.

EDIT: too slow again lol, well at least now you know lots of different boss's will retain the lock

[Edited on 13/10/10 by Stott]

pekwah1

posted on 13/10/10 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
says in the ad that it's a 320mm not a 350
loggyboy

posted on 13/10/10 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Everydays a school day - ford do like to do it cheap dont they! Either way, still wouldnt want to rely on a steering lock to be the only security on my pride and joy.
Stott

posted on 13/10/10 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Agreed, I rely on it never being finished, and thus never at risk as it don't come out' garage!
iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 13/10/10 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
I wonder what the radius is on metal in the centre is, doesn't look particularly IVA friendly IMO...

Peteff

posted on 13/10/10 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough if I take the Sierra wheel off, I lose the steering lock which will mean adding an immobiliser or similar.

My Mountney boss has the grooves in for the steering lock as did the one on my old car.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

lewis

posted on 13/10/10 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have fhe steering lock still functioning with a boss and omp wheel so not all sierra columns are the same?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.