Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Do we need a TV licence for work ?
welderman

posted on 22/10/10 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Do we need a TV licence for work ?

Keep getting letter saying we need a TV licence here at work, we have no TV or ariel, but do have pc's which can connect to the internet. So could possibly watch bbc iplayer etc if we wanted to, but we dont.
Anyone having the same problem out there, as its getting on my nerves now, if we dont get one by the 27 of this month we might get a visit and fine.
Its the principle of not having a TV
Please help LCB

Joe

matt_gsxr

posted on 22/10/10 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
no,

iPlayer delays broadcast so you don't need a license. Quite a lot of students do it this way as they have no money and all have laptops and they reassure me it is legal.

Matt

blakep82

posted on 22/10/10 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/

only if you watch something online at the same time as its broadcast.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

tegwin

posted on 22/10/10 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
You only need a TV license if you are watching/listening to live broadcasts either via a TV or internet. Watching programs retrospectivley (IE Iplayer) is fine without a license. The licensing website does say this, but its complicated and hard to find on purpose I suspect....

Just ingore the letters, if they come onsite refuse them entry to the property. We have the same here, they are simply not comming in here without a court order and a policeman present...... Which lets face it, they will never get! They should get the message eventually..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 22/10/10 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
When I was a student a couple of years back they would constantly and persistently send these letters whether you had a TV or not. They dont believe that you could possibley not have a TV! In fact they are very rude as despite replying saying you dont have TV they will still spam you with more 'warnings'

Ninehigh

posted on 22/10/10 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Stuff it, let them in show them the lack of tv. When they mention the internet and iplayer remind them you don't need a licence for iplayer and as they're leaving point out that any further contact over this matter will be regarded as harassment. If they continue after that they deserve the letters forwarding to a solicitor

owelly

posted on 22/10/10 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
As said above but just to add:
you DO need a TV license if you have equipment capable of recieving a live broadcast. A work colleague got taken to court for having a DVD recorder even though he didn't have a TV because it had the capability to record/view a TV signal. And refusing entry won't work. They have the right to prosecute however answers the door even if they don't actually live in the property unless that person tells them who they can prosecute. So send a child to answer the door if you see them coming! But don't keep a small child at the property just for this purpose. That would be wrong......
We had the sam hassle at work. I work at a very sucure installation and there is no way any TV detector guys could get into the place but they can do it post now.......We all clubbed together to buy a TV license. And then bought a TV we can't officially watch......'cos we're working.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Liam

posted on 22/10/10 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
As said above but just to add:
you DO need a TV license if you have equipment capable of recieving a live broadcast.

Not true - the mere capability is irrelevant. You only require a license if you watch or record TV as it's broadcast. Otherwise every broadband enabled PC, even smartphone would require a TV license regardless of what you use them for, and they dont.

[Edited on 22/10/10 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 22/10/10 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Short answer is no. Do you have a radio in the workshop? If so that needs to be licenced.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

AndyGT

posted on 22/10/10 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
What about folks who use touring vans, camper vans etc etc?

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

mistergrumpy

posted on 22/10/10 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
I believe touring vans and camper vans are covered by your license at your home address.
welderman

posted on 22/10/10 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Ok so NO it is, thanks fellas, LCB never lets us down.

Joe

steve m

posted on 22/10/10 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
"I believe touring vans and camper vans are covered by your license at your home address."

Yep that is correct, as thats how we do it

but what about the pikeys ??

designer

posted on 22/10/10 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
The computer automatically sends these letters to any address without a license.

Tell them, as I did years ago, and the letters should stop.

NigeEss

posted on 22/10/10 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

but what about the pikeys ??

Where do you send the letters ? They're a law unto themselves

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

bmseven

posted on 22/10/10 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Short answer is no. Do you have a radio in the workshop? If so that needs to be licenced.

Radio license went out in 1971
Good news is if your blind those caring people at the BBC give you 50% off your TV license and if your over 75 it's free.

Oh and they still need to apply for a warrant before they can come in despite what they might tell you they have absolutely no right of entry.

Richard Quinn

posted on 22/10/10 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bmseven
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

Radio license went out in 1971
Good news is if your blind those caring people at the BBC give you 50% off your TV license and if your over 75 it's free.

Oh and they still need to apply for a warrant before they can come in despite what they might tell you they have absolutely no right of entry.

I think it was a reference to a PRS license being referred to here.

thefreak

posted on 22/10/10 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Have you recently bought an LCD TV or similar? I know we bought a few for training videos etc and get hassled for the TV licence.
It's only for watching live TV as it happens, rather than stuff that's already been aired like the Iplayer/films etc.

BigLee

posted on 22/10/10 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Don't ignore them!!! They won't go away. Contact them and explain the situation. They are human beings. We had a similar situation and once explained, there was no problem. Chances are someone has bought a TV, or laptop capable of receiving a signal and given the work address for delivery. The letters will keep coming until you advise them otherwise.
Ignore them at your peril!

JoelP

posted on 22/10/10 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLee
They are human beings.

I dont believe that for a minute!

quote:

What on earth does that mean? They are essentially scum who try to harass you into paying for a license whether or not you really need one. The fact that the TV license is just a scam anyway is just an aggrevating factor! Tell them to wee off if they come round.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

thefreak

posted on 22/10/10 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
I don't get it either. You're paying for BBC yes? What if you never watch/listen to BBC and watch sky through a satellite dish? No aerial?
BigLee

posted on 22/10/10 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

What on earth does that mean? They are essentially scum who try to harass you into paying for a license whether or not you really need one. The fact that the TV license is just a scam anyway is just an aggrevating factor! Tell them to wee off if they come round.

All I am trying to say is this can be resolved with a simple phonecall, in the same way I did. If you wish to take on the "Scum" as you put it, and waste vast amounts of time for yourself and others, go for it. I made 1 phonecall, then went to the pub. Easylife my friend.

iank

posted on 22/10/10 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
It's quite safe to ignore them completely, unless you obviously have a TV.

Despite what they try to pretend they don't have any kind of right of entry to a private home or company unless they have a court order.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

plentywahalla

posted on 22/10/10 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
We build boats and often buy a TV to install. Everytime we get a letter telling us we need a license.

Everytime I contact them and tell them why we don't, but they admit that they have no way of permanently recording that a premises is a business and is buying sets for business purposes.

So they will go on bothering us ... Bl***y nuisance

Ninehigh

posted on 22/10/10 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plentywahalla
We build boats and often buy a TV to install. Everytime we get a letter telling us we need a license.

Everytime I contact them and tell them why we don't, but they admit that they have no way of permanently recording that a premises is a business and is buying sets for business purposes.

So they will go on bothering us ... Bl***y nuisance

Everyone else can record it as a business... When they ask for your name on that form why not tell them "Dave's boat making BUSINESS" and see what happens

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.