Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LED's for dash warning lights
supercat

posted on 15/7/04 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
LED's for dash warning lights

Hi Guys,

I want to replace the bulbs in my dash warning lights with LED's to provide a bit more brightness - i've seen superbright LED's in maplin in the colours I need. My question is to I need to do any fancy electrickery to make them work or can I just bung them in with a resistor on one of the tails?

Thanks,
James

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
spunky

posted on 15/7/04 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC you can get led's for automotive use with resistors built into the lamp.

John

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

Markp

posted on 15/7/04 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
I was looking at doing this,

One question popped up in my head

And LED in my understanding will only allow the electric current to flow one way through it??

When it comes to the red light from the alternator, it has a current going to the bulb and when the alternator is running it produces another current that also goes to the bulb (this puts the red light out)

Make sense??

Will the fact the bulb is now an LED make any difference?

stupid question I know so please slap me down for it!!!!

Mark

paulf

posted on 15/7/04 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
You must use a conventional bulb for the alternator warning light as it has to flow enough current to allow the alternator to energise.Leds use very little current which is a good reason for using them in some applications.
I think that the super bright ones may be to bright for night time use .
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Markp
I was looking at doing this,

One question popped up in my head

And LED in my understanding will only allow the electric current to flow one way through it??

When it comes to the red light from the alternator, it has a current going to the bulb and when the alternator is running it produces another current that also goes to the bulb (this puts the red light out)

Make sense??

Will the fact the bulb is now an LED make any difference?

stupid question I know so please slap me down for it!!!!

Mark

Viper

posted on 15/7/04 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have to have a light for the alt?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 16/7/04 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
I'dhave to have to diagnose the problem if the bulb failed, though!

David

supercat

posted on 16/7/04 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulf
You must use a conventional bulb for the alternator warning light as it has to flow enough current to allow the alternator to energise.Leds use very little current which is a good reason for using them in some applications.
I think that the super bright ones may be to bright for night time use .
Paul.

Ah i didnt know about the altenator light but that makes sense. I will probably only use LED's for the shift light, and oil and brake warning lights. I don't do much night driving anyway in the tiger so over brightness shouldnt really be a problem.

Cheers,
James

paulf

posted on 16/7/04 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
[I mentioned it because I have used them for the indicator warning lights and am considering using an extra resistor and relay to dim them when the lights are on.
Paul.
quote]Originally posted by supercat
quote:
Originally posted by paulf
. I don't do much night driving anyway in the tiger so over brightness shouldnt really be a problem.

Cheers,
James

mad4x4

posted on 19/7/04 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
James for a standard LED all you need is a Resistor. This is of a diesgnated value to limit the current through the LED.

Standard Led have a typical current draw of 20mA (28mA for Really Bright).

So using Ohms Law

v = I / R

12 Volt Systems
------------------------
that imples that R= V / I
which equals = 12 / 0.020
R= 600 Ohms

Or for Brighter
=12 / 0.028
R= 428 Ohms

5 Volt Systems
------------------------
which equals = 5 / 0.020
R= 250 Ohms

Or for Brighter
=5 / 0.028
R= 178 Ohms

24 Volt Systems
------------------------
which equals = 24 / 0.020
R= 1200 Ohms

Or for Brighter
=24 / 0.028
R= 857 Ohms

Hope this helps....... Remember a Diode will only light in one direction.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

hortimech

posted on 19/7/04 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
now I know nothing about car alternators, but I bet that they are the same as groundscare machinery ones ( big lawnmowers ). they have builtin electronic regulators and have three wires going to them.
a big output wire
a wire from the warning light
and finally a switched 12v positive power source to energise the alternator.
now here is the clever bit, the warning light wire is actually the earth or 0volt wire and when the alternator starts to charge it shuts off the earth and the light goes out. this is why, when an alternator starts to have problems the light can sometimes come on faintly, it is getting an earth but through heavy resistance
So in my opinion, for what it's worth, you should be able to use a led instead of a bulb

Why does everything happen to me

supercat

posted on 20/7/04 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
I think its time to pop down to maplins and get a few LED's and resistors and have a play! Thanks for the replies guys.

James

BMF

posted on 20/7/04 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
I bought one of the LED warning light modules for £30 from the Newark show, looks really good and is SVA compliant!

http://www.lightninglooms.co.uk/

sting

posted on 20/7/04 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
i`ve just ordered a `Bright 6` Warning light module they were at the Newark Kit Show cost £29.99 but it looked neat and SVA compliant. Won`t recieve it til tomorrow so will post what its like then.
mad4x4

posted on 22/7/04 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
QUOTE think its time to pop down to maplins and get a few LED's and resistors and have a play! Thanks for the replies guys.

Maplin do some nice chrome mounts for the 5mm LED's

To help with SVA compliance you can "sand"down the top of the LED so it flush with the mount. LOOK at the Clear range they do yellow red blue and green,

Look great

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

NS Dev

posted on 16/3/05 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hortimech
now I know nothing about car alternators, but I bet that they are the same as groundscare machinery ones ( big lawnmowers ). they have builtin electronic regulators and have three wires going to them.
a big output wire
a wire from the warning light
and finally a switched 12v positive power source to energise the alternator.
now here is the clever bit, the warning light wire is actually the earth or 0volt wire and when the alternator starts to charge it shuts off the earth and the light goes out. this is why, when an alternator starts to have problems the light can sometimes come on faintly, it is getting an earth but through heavy resistance
So in my opinion, for what it's worth, you should be able to use a led instead of a bulb

I have wondered about this exact problem in the past, and it would seem that on old vehicles with separate regulators, the warning light wire gives the excitation for the alternator, but on later ones with built-in regulators, you are quite correct.

I actually went to the lengths of using a bulb for the alternator warning and LED's for the others on my grasser, then found out about the change. I will use LED's on the 7 and will change to an LED on the grasser as the vibration continually blows the bulb.........the alternator still charges fine without it but I don't know whether it is or not!!!

MikeRJ

posted on 16/3/05 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
James for a standard LED all you need is a Resistor. This is of a diesgnated value to limit the current through the LED.

Standard Led have a typical current draw of 20mA (28mA for Really Bright).

So using Ohms Law

v = I / R

12 Volt Systems
------------------------
which equals = 12 / 0.020
R= 600 Ohms

Or for Brighter
=12 / 0.028
R= 428 Ohms

You should also take into account the forward voltage (Vf) of the LED itself, which varies from about 2volts for red up to 3.5 to 4 volts for blue and white. Obviously it dosen't make so much difference on 12volt systems, but on a 5 volt system you would end up with a very dim LED.

e.g. a blue LED with Vf = 4.0 volts and If=20mA on a 12volt supply

R = V/I
R = (12-4.0)/0.020 = 400 Ohms.

clbarclay

posted on 16/3/05 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
RS have proven very good for LED's etc. for me in the past, and thier website gives info on a wide range of LED's you will need.

Some of there LED's also come with built in resistors, suitable for 12v circuits.

Peteff

posted on 16/3/05 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
I've just helped with a Bright 6 module on a friends car. Follow the diagram and they are a nice piece of kit, wired the oil warning light up today to finish most of it off. He's used a Premier loom with Sierra switchgear and the module mentioned plus a set of VDO gauges. The aftermarket suppliers ought to get their heads together and agree on a colour code though as I have the attention span of a gnat these days and have to keep looking to remind myself what goes to what.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

clbarclay

posted on 16/3/05 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Just what do you get for your £29.99 other than an LED and some plastic?

As for colour coding, when I wired in a new headunit to my old car, the new head unit had one colour code, the universal din plug had another colour code, the car had a colour code all of its own and to top it of the new rear speakers had wire colours normally associated with front speakers.

Hasse

posted on 17/3/05 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
LED for all functions works for me.

If you want a LED also for the Charge function, I propose you connect a paralell resistor of around 60ohm over the LED and its serial resistor. This provides the nessesary current to set the alternator to charge.

If you have an alternator with the normal 3 connections for B+, D+ and ground, internal regulator or not doesent matter, it would normally need the current from the charge lamp to start charging.

Only very new alternators, normally with more than 3 connections, only require a voltage (very low current) on the 15 conection to switch into charging. These alternator often have possibilities, and an extra lead for this, to sense the actual battery voltage and regulate the charging voltage to this.

/Hasse

NS Dev

posted on 17/3/05 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
This confuses me, as on my old Opel manta, which I had fitted with the Vauxhall XE 16v engine (with std alternator) The warning light wire kpt coming off. I drove the car for 5 months with it not attached and it seemed to charge just fine!!!!!
Bob C

posted on 17/3/05 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
with enough revs the remanance of the iron core should give enough volts for the internal diodes to power up the field circuit.
So it probably won't charge if you just tickover, but could "burst into life" when the revs get high enough.
I wouldn't expect this to always happen, but could explain NS Dev's observation
Bob

Hasse

posted on 17/3/05 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Sufficient current from the charging lamp is "the sure way" to start the charging. Without this current, it may start from remaining remanens in the iron, but is not given at all, that the the charging will start.
Maybe it will also depend on how long the alternator has been "resting" since last used? Every day use could then maybe be positive to achieve charging.

/Hasse

David Jenkins

posted on 17/3/05 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
If you look at the wiring diagram for the Bright6 module HERE (click on the Bright6 link to download) you will see that they wire a diode and resistor in parallel to the LED, with the diode pointing in the opposite direction. In this way I guess that it behaves much like an ordinary light bulb as far as the alternator is concerned.

David

splitrivet

posted on 17/3/05 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to disagree mad 4x4 but you dont use ohms law to work out resistors for LED's.
When you buy the LED make a note of the forward current (If), and forward voltage (Vf).Vs is supply voltage.
Then use this formula, resistor= (Vs -Vf)/If so r =(12-2.5)divided by 0.02 therefor an LED with a 12 volt supply,a 2.5 forward voltage and a forward current of 0.02 would need a resistor of 475 ohms.

If you were using a LED for an AC application such as Alternator lamp use a silicon diode in reverse parallel and halve the value of the resistance that you worked out from above.

Hope this makes sense.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.