Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sidelights
RoadkillUK

posted on 18/8/04 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Sidelights

I've had my car in for the MOT today and it fai ed on the sidelights.

I'm using the Sierra column and switches and there are 3 positions on it, Off, sidelights and dipped. I have no front sidelights and when the switch is in the sidelights position, the rear lights come on but not the front. Could I wire up the headlights to work on the sidelight switch (moving the headlight pin on the back of the switch to the sidelight contact) therefore removing the sidelights completely or do I need the sidelights?

MOT tomorrow, SVA Friday!!

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 19/8/04 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
You need sidelights m8.

Also rear foglight needs to light when sidelights are on, so that is on the same circuit too!

Good luck with SVA

Peteff

posted on 19/8/04 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Rear hazard with sidelights? Is that a new regulation, they only had to work with dip beam when I did mine way back in the mists of time. I'll have to brush up on the manual if they are moving the goalposts. Why not run a wire from the rear sidelights to the front ones to get them working. My sidelights are fused seperate sides so if one goes the other will hopefully still work.

[Edited on 19/8/04 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 19/8/04 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
lee, the way you word it it sounds like you have no sidelights, as in no bulbs! are there any? if not, you need them, if you do, just whip a wire from the tail lights!

hellfire, i take it you mean that the fog light switch must work on either sides or dips? i just whipped another relay into mine to cover this.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Steve @ sVc

posted on 19/8/04 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
What lenses do you have in the headlights?
Sealed beam or seperate bulb type.
If a sealed beam you willl notice a "hole" in the reflective plating.
This is for the side light to shine thru'
The bulb-holder and reflector are connected to the socket that goes into the back of the sealed beam unit.
The light should be 5w
Regards
Steve @ sVc

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 19/8/04 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Rear hazard with sidelights? Is that a new regulation, they only had to work with dip beam when I did mine way back in the mists of time.

Who mentioned rear hazard? Certainly not me?

The Rear Fog does 'need' to light when the side's are on as on modern cars. Not light 'with' the sidelights - surely that's common sense. Perhaps I could have worded it more clearly.

JoelP - sort of. But the switch has to be illuminated aswell as the rear fog light. So, just having the switch working isn't much good unless it's a bl**dy bright one and everyone behind you can see it Seems like you're having as much trouble as I am with the english language!!!

Peteff

posted on 19/8/04 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Rear hazard is the bright red one, it's not a fog light as you can use it in snow and heavy rain as well . When I took SVA it was only allowed to operate with dip beam and had to go off on main and sidelights and have its own warning light as per the illuminated switch.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

paulf

posted on 19/8/04 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Mine was also wired like that and passed last month .
Paul.
quote:
When I took SVA it was only allowed to operate with dip beam and had to go off on main and sidelights and have its own warning light as per the illuminated switch.

Hellfire

posted on 19/8/04 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Rear hazard is the bright red one, it's not a fog light as you can use it in snow and heavy rain as well .

I see them being used in bright sunshine and on windy days too, so I conceed to a better description - a rear hazard light it is.

So, to clarify. If my vehicle ever breaks down on a motorway or other road...

Incidentally, our's wasn't wired like that and our's passed too. I thought I'd wire it up to operate the same as my new tintop. - though looking at it my Mazda 6 should never have got through the SVA as it opertaes on side and main beam. I'll return it to the garage tomorrow

[Edited on 19-8-04 by Hellfire]

JoelP

posted on 19/8/04 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
i've never heard that fogs (sorry, rear warning!) need to go off on main beam, is this a fact?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Hellfire

posted on 19/8/04 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
After reading my 2004 Draft SVA Manual (which describes the rear red light as a Rear Fog Lamp) I cannot find where it advises what criteria the Rear Fog Lamp needs to operate.

Peteff

posted on 19/8/04 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
It does

but I'm sticking with my MOT testers who call it rear hazard. It only says it's not to be operated by the brakes. Anybody with the real manual clear it up. It looks like another local interpretation for the SVA inspectors.

yours, Pete

RoadkillUK

posted on 20/8/04 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Right. I have the lolocost headlights, these have a clear circle in the sealed beam where you 'stick' your sidelights.

I left the original wires in the loom for the sidelights, the 2 fronts are on seperate fuses therefore if one fuse goes, you still have the other light working.

What I did was to get a couple of bulbs and holders (used dashboard lights) and 2 pop bottle caps finished of with a spray of silver paint inside the caps and glued to the sealed beams with glue gun.

As for the rear Hazard/Fog light, in the haynes manual the fog light is fused from fuse no.5 which is for dipped beam only, therefore it will only work with dipped beam.

Oh, and I rang the DVLA and asked about sidelights and was told that they are a requirement and are AKA positioning lights.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

wicket

posted on 21/8/04 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Just checked my '51' registered Fiat and a) with sidelights on only; rear fog(hazard) light does not come on.
b) with sidelights & front fog lights on; rear fog(hazard) light comes on.
c) with dip or main beam on; rear fog(hazard) light comes on.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.