Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Securing blade type connectors
shortie

posted on 27/8/04 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Securing blade type connectors

Just started putting together my wiring and started at the fusebox but I am not happy that the female push on blade type connectors are held securely on the male part on the fusebox. Is there a way to fix them in place?

ta,
Rich.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 27/8/04 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Squash them slightly ??? Mine fitted on ok. You sure you got the correct size ones for it?

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

DaveFJ

posted on 27/8/04 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
a blob of glue from a hot glue gun works wonders (I also use this when building PC's)
as long as it's not near anywhere too hot of course!

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

mad4x4

posted on 27/8/04 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Do away with the balde type connectors as much as possible and put in solder joints covered in heatshrink will last far better and longer and cause less problems in the future.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

shortie

posted on 27/8/04 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Size is right, 6.3mm. Will try squashing them and the glue option, I think I may also change to the type of fusebox whereby the wires go into the bottom and not just onto blade connectors.

Rich.

craig1410

posted on 27/8/04 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Mad4x4,
I'd have to disagree to a large extent with using soldered joints instead of crimped joints because when soldered joints can be more susceptible to fatigue and breakage where vibration and heat cycling is taking place. There have been many studies over the years on this subject and I don't think it is any accident that crimping is far more prevalent in the automotive electronics industry. Crimping is also much faster if you have a decent crimp tool.

I would like to stress the last point, "good crimp tool," as there are a wide variety of tools out there. What you want is one with a ratchet to ensure consistent crimp pressure, and a wide crimp head which crimps the conductor and insulator in a single crush. Many people give crimping a bad reputation because they use a cheap and nasty crimp tool and only crimp the conductor and not the insulation. This will then suffer the same sort of fatigue breakage as a solder joint.

In summary, unless you are a highly competent solderer (I'm qualified to military standards by the way) then crimping with a good crimp tool will be more consistent and considerably easier and faster.

Cheers,
Craig.

David Jenkins

posted on 27/8/04 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
Squash them slightly

This is what I do; I put the connector flat in my parallel-jaw pliers and gently squeeze it a little bit. It usually only requires a fraction of a mm squash.

It's probably worth risking a connector or two to get the feel of what's required.

David

Mark Allanson

posted on 27/8/04 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
For about a tenner you can get the correct ratchet tool for crimping the connectors, it even stamps the correct rating code into the plastic sleeve to show you have done it right. It gives the correct pressure for the ally internal and for the plastic retaining bit

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

craig1410

posted on 27/8/04 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Yes Mark is right. i think I spent about £55 on a 500 piece kit of crimps which came with a good crimp tool. Here is a link to the website. It is the DV5 tool shown here that I use. The tool on its own costs about £17 inc vat

David, no disrespect intended but do yourself a favour and get a proper crimp tool. Crimps will simply not be reliable unless crimped correctly.

Cheers,
Craig.

[Edited on 27/8/2004 by craig1410]

David Jenkins

posted on 27/8/04 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
David, no disrespect intended but do yourself a favour and get a proper crimp tool. Crimps will simply not be reliable unless crimped correctly.

Eh?

At no time did I mention crimping connectors!

What I was talking about (and shortie, I think) was sorting out female lucas connectors that are loose on the blade. I suggested squeezing them slightly so they grip the blade a bit better.

David

craig1410

posted on 28/8/04 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
David,
My apologies, I see what you were getting at now...

Just ignore me!

Cheers,
Craig.

DaveFJ

posted on 31/8/04 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a very similair ratchet crimping tool from B&Q a whuile back - I think it was £19 but came with about 500 assorted connectors

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

stephen_gusterson

posted on 31/8/04 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
are you talking aout the actual push on to the spade, or the crimped bit that the wire goes in?

The crimp is always nicer with the more expensive rachet type tool, but costs about 10x the price of the simpler one.

faston terminals are used a lot in electricals and tend not to come off. the extra squash if you want, might help.

Id avoid using glue unless you are sure you have a tight connection to 'plough' it away from the contact surfaces, otherwise its going to insulate. Then if its tight, do you need the glue......

atb

steve

shortie

posted on 31/8/04 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve,

Was talking about the push on bit, not the crimp. Have bought a ratchet type tool for the crimps which seems great.

I think I am going to change the fusebox for one that the wire go into underneath and it has a bus-bar to connect where required.

Rich.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.