Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I want a Q plate
scoobyis2cool

posted on 1/9/04 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
I want a Q plate

I know a lot of people seem to try to avoid getting a Q plate but I actually like the look of them and want one for my car. I've used parts from 2 different sierras and to be honest I'm not sure whether or not I'm eligible for an age related plate. If the DVLA decide I can have an age related plate am I allowed to turn it down in favour of a Q plate?

Cheers

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 1/9/04 at 05:27 AM Reply With Quote
I have no idea to your question... However, I would like to know what the advantage of a Q plate is?.

Is there any advantage in the emissions area? ie its a visual check only etc?.

I am assuming if you get age related status, you are then bound by the emmission regs for that year. Is this correct?

Whats the best route that the team thinks?.

Best Regards

Geoff

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zetec

posted on 1/9/04 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
There is the advantage of a "Q" plate and emissions compared to later age related plates, I think "new" S reg and onwards have to meet higher emissions at MOT time.
David Jenkins

posted on 1/9/04 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
From what I've seen, you get given a Q plate unless you make a point of asking for something else! It's probably worth making initial contact with your local DVLA office to find out.

The main advantage is at MOT time - the rule is "no visible smoke" only.
The down-side is that you can never swap it for a personalised plate (unless you want another Q plate, that is).

David

(Who'll take any plate that care to offer, as long as I get on the road"

spunky

posted on 1/9/04 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Are we sure about this.

I understood the present regulations regarding emissions for kit and component built vehicles at MOT to be visable smoke only, regardless of age or registration.
This was confirmed by local MOT station and Stuart Taylor.
I've heard that a change to the law is in the pipeline to make kit cars comply with current emissions regs but it 'unlikely' to be applied retrospectively.

After my battle with emissions at SVA and having an 04 plate, MOT would be unpassable....

John

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

kingr

posted on 1/9/04 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
To get a Q plate, all you need to do is not present any proof of age. I think that's fairly universal across local DVLA offices although you never quite know.

Kingr

zetec

posted on 1/9/04 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.totalkitcar.com/tkc_article_252.shtml has lots of info.
scoobyis2cool

posted on 1/9/04 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys,

To answer a couple of questions the reason I wanted a Q plate was purely from an aesthetic point of view - I prefer the look of a Q plate to, say, and E plate on a kit car, makes it look 'newer' in my opinion.

I wasn't aware that there was a difference in emissions regs but if there is I guess that's just another bonus!

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.