Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nippon Denso Alternator on Duratec Questions
ChrisJ15

posted on 11/6/12 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Nippon Denso Alternator on Duratec Questions

I've bought a small 40A Nippon Denso alternator and Burtons mounting brackets to put it onto my Duratec.

The brackets fit but part of the rear of the alternator slightly fouls the bracket and the big connector is very close to the block.

Does anyone know if I can undo the two halves of the alternator and spin the back around by 90 or 180 degrees or would I be playing garage hide and seek with hundreds of bits?

Also it came with a 5 groove pulley and I'm sure I've seen a picture of a duratec with the same configuration with just the 5 as the load is so much less. Is this a good idea or should I get a 6 groove pulley?

big-vee-twin

posted on 11/6/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
You can get a 6 groove pulley from Burton Power link Personally I would fit one to make sure the belt runs true, but in theory you could run a 5 groove belt on the 6 groove crank pulley.

I manufactured my own brackets to mount the alternator here's a picture, rather than buy it was a lot easier than I expected.

[img] ND Alternator
ND Alternator
[/img]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

se7ensport

posted on 13/6/12 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisJ15
Does anyone know if I can undo the two halves of the alternator and spin the back around by 90 or 180 degrees or would I be playing garage hide and seek with hundreds of bits?

I've tried doing this, I took the alternator apart but you can't just rotate the head, the windings in the body would need to be removed and rotated as well otherwise they won't line up with the regulator. I couldn't get the windings to remove from the body.

It's not very clear in this photo but my power lead runs right along the block, to prevent shorting I fitted a rubber end off of an ignition lead, actual lead to block clearance is in the region of 2inches to has no chance of touching and actually seems safer having it against the block than sticking out. Just disconnect the battery to fit or remove.

Duratec on the road 2
Duratec on the road 2

Alex

ChrisJ15

posted on 13/6/12 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the responses.

Thought I'd try the guy that I bought the alternator from on eBay and he's got an a similar model which has the terminal sticking out the back that looks like it will work just fine. He also offered to rotate mine FOC. Dont usually see service like that these days, especially after someones made a sale!

So if anyone needs a Nippon Denso he's called electrostart2006 and usually has these listed on eBay.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.