Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rad fan (switchable)
bob

posted on 13/9/04 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Rad fan (switchable)

My rad fan has a permanent live so as to run on when the engine iis switched off if hot,this is operated from a stat situated in the top hose.

However,i would like to manually switch the fan on when stuck in traffic so as to keep temp down and beat the stat.

Is it possible to run another live to the fan via a dash switch to do this ?
Any diagrams of anyones handy work would be appreciated.

JoelP

posted on 13/9/04 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
i'll knock up a lillpiccy now bob... 2 mins.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Northy

posted on 13/9/04 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Just put another ground to the ground side of the rad fan, through a switch, to ground. Wow, what a lot of grounds!

Does that make sense? If the fan is high current, you might want to use a relay, but I didn't bother, just used a high amperage switch. Mines hidden under the steering column.

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 13/9/04 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
picture doesnt want to post... assuming you have a live to the fan and a switched earth, simply take another earth to the dash and stick a switch on it. if you wanted to really splash out you could also wire this earth thru a relay (using it more like a logic gate) to stop it being left on by accident when the ignition was off.

Northy

posted on 13/9/04 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Beaten to it Joel!

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 13/9/04 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
bugger it...

bob

posted on 13/9/04 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers lads

I think i'll switch to ground,i just wanted to confirm it was ok and wouldnt conflict with the already switched stat in top hose.

DEAN C.

posted on 13/9/04 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
red to red,black to black and blue to bits!!
Sorry Bob,
If you have got a relay in triggered by the thermoswitch,just take a live feed direct to the relay switching terminal,any switch will handle that ok..All you are doing then is bypassing the thermosatic switch,one wire ,one switch,low current and still using your original relay.
DEAN...

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

bob

posted on 14/9/04 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
cheers Dean

I think thats the best option,i wasgoing to run another feed but thought that would be double handling the job.

The only reason i'm doing this is the old pinto does lack a bit of power when it gets hot,traffic is something i have to put up with down here(well until sundays)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.