Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mk indy - electric reverse wiring diagram?
Sloan85

posted on 2/3/13 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Mk indy - electric reverse wiring diagram?

I am trying to figure out how to wire up the electric reverse. From what i have read i need a feed to the motor and a negative off it to the chassis. Not sure how I connect the switch though. I think this goes to the solenoid?

I have taken a 22mm cable from the kill switch to where the motor is. Not sure where on the starter motor to connect it to though. Not sure where I take the negative from the on motor to connect to the chassis.

Docs anyone have any close up pictures that show all the connections? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this?

Cheers!

[Edited on 2/3/13 by Sloan85]

[Edited on 2/3/13 by Sloan85]

daniel mason

posted on 2/3/13 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
????

Sloan85

posted on 2/3/13 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
????

Pressed the button too soon!

daniel mason

posted on 2/3/13 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
im generally premature also

rb968

posted on 2/3/13 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
When I wired mine up the battery cable goes onto the large stud on the starter motor with a ring terminal held on with a nut. M8 stud on my starter.

The switch activates the solenoid via a spade connection on the starter solenoid (usually). I put mine through a relay so the reverse switch earthed the relay and the power went from relay to the solenoid terminal.

Different starters might be different.

Mine was like this. Linky

Edited to add, no earth usually required as the starter earths through its connection to the block.

I also wired mine so the switch was only active when in neutral so I could not operate the reverse motor when in gear.

Rich

[Edited on 2/3/13 by rb968]

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 3/3/13 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
This should help you.
I too wired mine so that you could only make reverse work while in neutral.
In addition I have a "top gun" style switch which activates the rear reverse light so that it doesn't just come on when you press the button to engage reverse - this way you can see what's behind in the dark before you blast backwards.

You have to be in neutral and have the "top gun" switch turned on before the push button will work.

Sloan85

posted on 3/3/13 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, I think Ive got it sussed now.

The photos below show my reverse motor. I think the large bottom bolt is for the battery feed and the smaller one above is for the switch. Does that sound right? Second photo shows a threaded bolt at the back of the starter motor, what could this be for?

The starter motor is bolted directly to the chassis which should be a good enough earth so no additional connection needed??

Also, what sort of current does the starter solenoid draw? Ive read it could be about 10A?

GOJO

posted on 3/3/13 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
That diagram is fine, only thing i did different was use a clutch switch to make the relay switch input so the button wouldnt activate the relay till the clutch was depressed and i switch the engine off before using it and they sound awfull, i prefer to push or roll back where i can
Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 3/3/13 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GOJO
That diagram is fine, only thing i did different was use a clutch switch to make the relay switch input so the button wouldnt activate the relay till the clutch was depressed and i switch the engine off before using it and they sound awfull, i prefer to push or roll back where i can

+1 for the noise. I thought it was just me, but it's like having a jack hammer in your ear !

jrrsparky

posted on 3/3/13 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Reverse on a MK indy wired as previous posts

reverse gear on test
reverse gear on test

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.