Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: second question
farmboy

posted on 9/12/04 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
second question

i recently got the book, and have decided that i am able to build a locost (or part locost), albeit with my friend doing the welding for me. i have a question, ron says to build everything first, then have all the parts and build for the final time. is this the best way to go about it. i was thinking about building as you go.

Why is it that people say they "slept like a baby" when babies wake up
every two hours?

James

posted on 9/12/04 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the madhouse!

Build as you go.

With a pile of parts you'll find half of it doesn't fit!
You'll probably change your mind about loads of stuff as you go too.
What I would recommend is buying a few key things as early as poss: (in addition to your donor), shocks, radiator, seats and bodywork. Unfortunately, these are by far and above the most expensive and hardest to store parts! But I recommend getting them as they affect other bits early on in the car (the chassis) and so changing after you've painted etc. is a pain.

Make sure you download a correct chassis plan from: http://www.mcsorley.net as the book has many errors.
Also, triple your predicted build cost and probably the time taken too.

Finally, keep it as simple and straightforward and don't deviate too much- the more changes you make from a basic Locost the longer it all takes. And a finished car is better than a complex pile of bits in the garage!

All the best,
James

PioneerX

posted on 9/12/04 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
I'm 100% with James on this one, Build as you go, there are many time I have had to change something slightly because the fit was not right whicdh I put it together. These changes are easy to do on a one by one basis, but if you wait until the end to assemble everything then you can be faced with the sitaution of having to change everything to make ANYTHING fit.

I also go with the idea of buying the bodywork, shocks & seats as these are a real pain to find or make.

Good luck, oh and delifnatly use the mcsorsley plans.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
farmboy

posted on 9/12/04 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
i was thinking of buying the frame, i know then its not technically a locost, but it will be in spirit. everything else will be made or scrapyard sourced as far as possible. but going to build as i go now.

Why is it that people say they "slept like a baby" when babies wake up
every two hours?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.