Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dipped head lights not working
windy

posted on 19/6/16 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Dipped head lights not working

Hi, I am still struggling with my electrics. I have a 93 Sierra column stalks and have used a CBS module plus a relay for both dipped and high beam headlights, all lights work fine except for dipped. I have checked my wiring of the relays several times, tried different relays and checked continuity of wiring to the headlamps, even the bulbs (which are H4).

I have checked through past threads but can not find any information about this problem, its probably staring me in the face but I can't see it, very frustrating. anyone have any ideas?

daviep

posted on 19/6/16 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Can you post a copy of the CBS wiring diagram plus whatever you have added.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

windy

posted on 19/6/16 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Davie, Thanks for your reply I will post the wiring diagrams as soon as I work out how to do it, Pete
Mash

posted on 19/6/16 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra stalks? Mine are fubarred :-(
windy

posted on 20/6/16 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Davie, Have found out how to post images, should be below, I hope. Thanks , Pete.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Smoking Frog

posted on 20/6/16 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Although I'm not familiar with the CBS module. Remove 56B connector from relay and test for continuity from this to earth with headlight switch set to dipped. No continuity means a fault somewhere on this circuit.
windy

posted on 20/6/16 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Smoking Frog, I checked that its OK, Pete
Smoking Frog

posted on 20/6/16 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Are both main and dip both on at the same time? Remove 56A connector from the main beam relay and switch the dip on.
daviep

posted on 20/6/16 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
OK certainly what you've posted should be working.

Can you hear the relay switching?

Have you checked your wiring on the H4 bulb?, if the ground is on the wrong terminal only one filament will work.

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

windy

posted on 20/6/16 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Smoking Frog, just tried that and yes the dipped lights came on. It looks like both dip and high beam are on at the same time, how do I fix that? Thanks , Pete.
windy

posted on 20/6/16 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Davie, yes the ground is in the correct position as your drawing, the colours on my plug are different to yours having red for low beam and white for high but they are in the same position as yours. I can hear a relay switch but am not sure if they are both switching as my hearing is not the best. But I have swapped relays and the problem remains the same. Thanks , Pete.
Smoking Frog

posted on 20/6/16 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Remove 56A connector from the main beam relay and switch the dip on. Now move switch to high beam position. Does dipped beam stay on? Should be off.

Similar test for main beam (replace 56A connector)
Remove 56B connector from the dip beam relay and switch the main beam on. Now move switch to dipped beam position. Does main beam stay on? Should be off.

windy

posted on 21/6/16 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Have checked relays as you describe, they both work as they should and I can hear them switching. I think I need to fine tune the description I gave of the problem. When head lights are turned on to dipped they light up but when turned to full beam there is an hardly perceptible flicker but the intensity of light looks the same. So it seems that rather than dipped beam is not working its more that high beam seems to on at all times, removing 56b from the dipped relay stops the light from working.

I have just connected an Acewell Digi Dash and the high beam tell tail lights up on dipped as well as full beam, it seems to me although I have no previous experience of car electrics that this is a Sierra stalks problem or the way I have wired it up, but the side lights, indicators and hazards all work as they should.

This is really doing my head in, thanks for bearing with me so far I hope with your help I can fix this, Pete.

Smoking Frog

posted on 21/6/16 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
If you relays are working as they should double check wiring to bulb as daviep suggested. Maybe even remove one and wire it up to a battery to confirm correct connections.
Mash

posted on 22/6/16 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
As I said before, I have some big problems with my Sierra stalks. It sounds as thought the main/dip relays are working, but it's just an intermittent thing, so they work as the stalk moves forward (or back), but only momentarily. Similar problems with the indicators.
windy

posted on 23/6/16 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mash , I think you are right about the Sierra stalks, I have checked the wiring several times it all seems to be as it should. I have even looked at the headlight bulbs with a welding lens and both filaments are on at all times ie full and low beam. Can you recommend and alternative set of stalks? Pete.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.