Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel level sender problem
smart51

posted on 7/6/05 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel level sender problem

I have a siemens VDO fuel level sender that I was going to fit today. There are 2 mounting rings, one with through holes and one with tapped holes. Given that the hole must be smaller than the ring in order for the ring to seal the hole, how do I get the tapped hole into the tank? There is a small notch on the tapped ring but still, it would need quite a big hole.
marc n

posted on 7/6/05 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
rivnuts

best regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
albertz

posted on 7/6/05 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
I used the same VDO sender and had similar troubles. Getting the tapped ring in was not too bad, but holding it in place while the internal rubber seal is located, then the external seal, then the sender unit, then the steel plate......not easy

In the end i used a long bolt and threaded it a couple of turns on to hold everything in place, still a very fiddly job.

I should have abandoned the tapped ring plate and used rivnuts as per the reply above. Good tight seal once it is all in place though.

Dusty

posted on 7/6/05 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
VDO expect you to cut a 59mm hole which the sender plate will then go through. They include a longer screw which is the one they expect you to use to fiddle everything into place. The rubber gasket goes on the tank top and each screw has its own sealing washer. Extract from the fitting guide below but I would use rivnuts. Rescued attachment sender.jpg
Rescued attachment sender.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.