Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: indicators dont work any ideas?
ditchlewis

posted on 10/10/05 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
indicators dont work any ideas?

I have just finished wiring up all my lights.

As I progressed with the indicators I used the hazard switch to check that all the indicator lights were working.

So emagin my supprise when I turned the engine on and tried the lights, all worked except the indicators.

So off came the skuttle and the dash, I checked all the wiring and its correct. I replaced one or two connections that did not pass muster. All correct and accounted for.

I know that it is not the flasher unit as the hazard lights work perfectly.

could it be the stalk unit. the dipped and main beam units work but how would i check if the indicator motion works?

I know it is a lond shot but any one have any ideas before i spend another weekend tracing every connection

the wiring loom is a vickie green loom if that helps.

Hoping you may have some ideas.

regards

Ditch

BKLOCO

posted on 10/10/05 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
There is an error on that loom diagram.
I would hazzard a guess that you are using the later type Sierra switches with lighting relays.
I will check what the error is as I can't quite remember. I went through the same sequence and ended up tracing the whole of the indicator circuits. I think that the error revolves around the fact that the indicator switch does NOT switch a live supply to the flasher relay but the hazzards do.
I'l check and get back to you.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

BKLOCO

posted on 10/10/05 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Just remembered there is also an error with the washer circuit. I think the sierra switch switches to earth but the loom is wired to switch the live.

Peteff

posted on 10/10/05 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
There are two black wires to the left switch and one of these goes to the flasher. If you already have them connected try swapping them over. Do you get indicators but they don't flash?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

hobbsy

posted on 10/10/05 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Random thought - you're not using LED bulbs are you? As they usually don't draw enough to allow the flasher to work. So you have to fit resistors in line... thats why mine don't work at the moment anyway
BKLOCO

posted on 10/10/05 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Here is the corrected drawing.
Description V G wiring errors
Description V G wiring errors

If you pressed the w/s/ wash while you had it connected up as original then you have probably blown a fuse. Check first.
Just looked at my notation. on the left when I say move from here to here I am talking about the BLACK with X through it black & yellow stays where it is. The black at the bottom is drawn wired to the wrong plug.
I hope this all makes sense. If not were not far away, your welcome to come over and have a look.

donut

posted on 10/10/05 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I would hazzard a guess

Very good!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dusty

posted on 10/10/05 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hazards are powered through the column switch off the horn supply H(30) which is constant live. Indicators are powered from pin 54 into the switch which is ignition live and out of the switch at pin 49 which should thus be ignition live to pin 49 on the indicator relay. Thus pin 49 on the relay should have an ignition live supply from the switch. The hazard switch disconects this ignition live supply when it is switched on, replacing it with the horns constant live.
Test the relay base that pin 49 on the indicator relay plugs into with the ignition on. Should be live. If not check its connected back to pin 49 on the column switch and that pin 54 on the column switch has an ignition live supply and if not give it one.

ditchlewis

posted on 10/10/05 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Many Many Thanks!!!!!!

I have to admit to being a total electrical Numpty, it was always the thought of the electrics that put me off building a car long ago.

I realy do wish I had found this site earlier in the build process.

I actually live closer as i now live with my fiancee in Caple st Mary and I commute to Chelmsford every day.

I may well take you up on your kind offer and have a look if i cannot make it work now.

Regards

Ditch

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.