Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost using a V6 2.9i
davepro

posted on 18/4/06 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Locost using a V6 2.9i

Hi all

I am building a locost and am using a 2.9i V6 engine from a sierra 4x4.

The problem I have is with the loom (well one of the problems I have), I am not worried about the ABS but do need to keep the engine management system.

Has any body used this type of engine and if so did they use the donnor loom or buy one? Is the engine management system loom seperate to the main loom?

Hopefully some one can help me.

Regards

Dave

Dave Prouten

froggy

posted on 18/4/06 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
have a look on the westfield site for a guy who built a cosworth 4wd westie with the abs loads of build photos
jimmyjoebob

posted on 18/4/06 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
I am using a 2.9i v6 in another car project and am retaining the fuel injection as ford created it!

You need to remove certain relays that control the fuel pump (keep the pump as well as it is a high pressure one).

I will photo the loom as I removed it from a 4x4 sierra - it is separate from the main wiring loom, but don't forget the relays!

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

Chippy

posted on 18/4/06 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi dave, I have used the 2.9i in my build, but rather stupidly, (as it has turned out), used the ABS, which is giving me mega problems, loads of front brakes and very little rear, enough of my problems. The PI wiring loom is fairly dificult to seperate, but with a large board that you can lay out the loom, with care strip out all the bits you don't want and then retape the thing. I even managed to use the fuse panel. May be some pictures on my archive, can't remember. Best of luck with the build, and remember there aint no substitue for cubic inches, so don't be put of using the V6, wonderful torque. Regards Chippy.

Just had a look in my archive no pictures of wiring, or fuse board, sorry.

[Edited on 18-4-06 by Chippy]

davepro

posted on 19/4/06 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
jimmyjoebob

Please can you advise me where the relays are.

Dave

PS Thanks for your help.

Dave Prouten

jimmyjoebob

posted on 19/4/06 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
They are held in the fuse panel, drivers side below screen when bonnet is open. I will check what number the relays are(and colour) and get back to you.

jimmyjoebob

posted on 19/4/06 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
The relays that are integrated into the car loom are fuel pump relay (brown relay) and the ignition relay (red relay - also known as engine run relay).

2.9i relays
2.9i relays

The fuel pump relay (if you remove passenger side sill internal cover) has earth and live that go to inertia switch (in spare wheel well) then on to fuel pump.

The red block with fuse wire is the link between ignition switch and starter motor.

I will stretch the loom out in the shape of sierra car installation tomorrow and photo it - dark when I returned from work this evening!

ewanspence

posted on 3/5/06 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
I am using the 2.8 and as I stripped the car I removed the wiring I didn't want in stages and after each stage I checked the car started and ran. I removed the electric window loom and the abs loom which were both fairly simple and I don't think any of it required wires to be cut.

Ewan.

Visit the MegaGrip site :-
http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 4/5/06 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
2.8i loom is very different to the 2.9!

both seperable though, 2.9i just has a lot more to it than the mechanical injection on the 2.8i

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.