Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Keyless ignition - crazy idea?
Just

posted on 9/8/06 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Keyless ignition - crazy idea?

While thinking of things to look at during the winter period, one of the things that doesn't quite sit right is the Sierra key hanging out of the ignition.

I have push button start and would love to bypass the Sierra key. Has anyone put in a keyless system using maybe a keypad or proximity system, dongle or whatever?

MikeR

posted on 9/8/06 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
have a word with brooky. he's got a system from a bike and i have to say, i like it!

looks cool, he jumps in, puts his helmet on, presses start and he's off........

no faff!

and impossible (within reason) to nick cause if anyone else jumps in it won't start

rayward

posted on 9/8/06 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a cheapo bike alarm from ebay(£30),to use in the same way, has 2 immobiliser circuits,andalso has remote start!!!!

Ray

Guinness

posted on 9/8/06 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
don't forget to remove the steering lock though,

jump in, start engine, drive off, into a wall, not a good look!

mike

Just

posted on 9/8/06 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, good point - is it easy enough to take out the whole barrel and lock?

Ray - have you got that operational?

dl_peabody

posted on 9/8/06 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
I always thought you could use a credit card type starter with a printed circuit push it all the way in and it activates the starter halfway in and it runs.

The Key (excuse the pun) would be to set up the layered card so that the contacts fall just right.

(goofy idea...just a thought)

nitram38

posted on 9/8/06 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
My car has an Fia switch with an immobiliser coil around it. I have embedded a transponder in clear resin along with the fia key.
This means that the key is sva proof on the radius, plus a normal fia key will not allow my car to start.
I have a lift up aircraft switch for the starter.
Description
Description

k33ts

posted on 9/8/06 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dl_peabody
I always thought you could use a credit card type starter with a printed circuit push it all the way in and it activates the starter halfway in and it runs.

The Key (excuse the pun) would be to set up the layered card so that the contacts fall just right.

(goofy idea...just a thought)

that was one of the first cat 2 immobilisers invented they had a tendency to burn out cus the more you pulled it in and out the more the copper wore down making it thiner and thiner.

ive put a cat 1 alarm on mine and used the two immobiliser circuts as my ignition switch along with a aircraft type toggle and a savage push start,
chopped the ignition barrel off with a grinder.

tukcustoms.com

rayward

posted on 9/8/06 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
yes had it running with the loom just plugged in as it would have been on the bike.

basically press one button on the fob,disarms alarm+immobiliser, and turns ignition lights on(like run position on standard ignition switch), then use second button on the fob(for remote start) or a dash mounted pushbutton.

only thing i did was wire an extr relay in connected to the neutral light switch, so i can;t remote start with it left in gear.

Ray

theconrodkid

posted on 10/8/06 at 05:35 AM Reply With Quote
try findlay,he was mking some to sell some time ago

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Danozeman

posted on 10/8/06 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
Alot of chavs seem to know about keyless ign. They screwdriver the barrel and join some wires together. Hey presto no keys

Raywards idea sounds good. Is it easy to do??

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

tks

posted on 10/8/06 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Fly by wire system

Well, i have a complete computerized system build onto my locost.

the ignition barrel is there because of the steering lock.

I wanted to know is it obliagotory to have it?

i have made a smartcard system sow introduce my smartcard and then the plane is booting and you can start with the push of a button (like mercedes, sow you toggle the start sequence not the start relay) if starting takes more than 7sec error messages start popping up

etc. etc.. will make some pics when its all mounted etc..

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

rayward

posted on 10/8/06 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
if you can wire a locost, then fitting this alarm in sholud be no problem.

the one i bought is very similar to the one in the link below

click ety Link

Ray

Findlay234

posted on 11/8/06 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
If anyones interested in a keypad immobiliser, ive just finished the final working prototype and tested it in my FIAT Bravo (ill tell you the electrics in fiats are more confusing than my homebrew wiring loom for the kit) The machine works and immobilised the starter relay. It can be used to immoblise any relay on the car.

At the moment it works with a keyed ignition switch but it would be a very very simple conversion to keyless.

Starting, with the key out and the circuit immobilised with led showing red, you type in the preset 4 digit code. On each button press the led lights up amber. Once the correct code has been input the led will turn to green and the car can be started. When you turn the engine off and turn the key to its off position or remove it, the immobiliser will wait 10 seconds then check the key switch is still off and immobilise the circuit. The 10 second wait incase you stall and mean to turn the engine on again.

There is also a valet function where you can make sure it doesnt immobilise a circuit when you get out.

At the moment im looking for someone whos got their car to rolling chassis with a working engine that can test the immobiliser on a road for short distances. If anyone can help or wishes to dive in straight away and get one then let me know.

Lastly and mainly if there are any ideas that people have to enhance the project then also tell me...

cheers
findlay Rescued attachment SV400020.JPG
Rescued attachment SV400020.JPG

caber

posted on 11/8/06 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
how about a shocking coil possibly from one oh those games or rc tanks that zaps you if you get the code wrong twice? Do it a third time and it gives you a shock off an ignition coil!

A it helps you to remember the code
B it will sort out anyone who tries it on!

PS also link coil to windscreen wipers, reduces the instances of parking tickets!

Caber

tks

posted on 13/8/06 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
mhh

where is the warning if someone is in the car and don't pushes in the right code???
(claxon relais??) also an switch in the seat would be beautifull!!

also i think a small display (with blue backlight) would do some nice details and info about the actual status of the code and the program in the microcontroller.

i have some nice displays if you want..

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

wilkingj

posted on 14/8/06 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
All you need is an RFID chip surgically planted in the cheek of your bum. Then put the transponder under or in the seat or on the sidewall. Every time you sit in the car, you can start it but no one else can.

Do remember to disable the steering lock as without the key it will lock the steering wheel.

The biggest problem is purely around not having a key, and locking up the steering.
Having said that, the key does provide the physical anti theft device (Steering lock).

The imobilisation and starting is relatively straightforward.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.