Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Common feed fusebox
RazMan

posted on 23/10/06 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Common feed fusebox

I'm looking for a fuse box which has a common feed - one 6mm2 wire to feed about 5 or 6 outlets.

All I can find so far are the '1 in, 1 out' variety.

Any ideas?

[Edited on 23-10-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JAG

posted on 23/10/06 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Check out Vehicle Wiring Products or Premiere Wiring Systems.
Premi ere Wiring Systems
Vehicle Wiring Products

OR

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

RazMan

posted on 23/10/06 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Those were the first places I tried - nothing with a common feed but Premier offered an alternative which might do the trick.

I know I have seen the exact one I need but I just can't remember where

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 23/10/06 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Was it this Volvo one?
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=40022&page=2

ned

posted on 23/10/06 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
You can get fuse boxes that have a power bar/strip that connect the fuses on one side like a common live, I bought one from VRP iirc. Is this what you mean?

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

RazMan

posted on 23/10/06 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
You can get fuse boxes that have a power bar/strip that connect the fuses on one side like a common live, I bought one from VRP iirc. Is this what you mean?

Ned.

Exactly what I am after but VWP say that they don't do anything suitable

Cheers,
Raz

RazMan

posted on 23/10/06 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Was it this Volvo one?
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=40022&page=2

Something like that but with fuses
[img]http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=40022&pid=333271[/img]
bum - the pics are playing up

[Edited on 23-10-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

ned

posted on 23/10/06 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
It was definately VRP or Premier that I got mine from. Have you tried giving Alan at premier a call?

The one I have looks much the same this:
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/fuse-1/photo/fbb8u.jpg
but has small plastic clips that once removed allow you to remove one side of the blade holder clips that are all connected as one bar on the underside, you then just cut the bar with snips to break it up as you wish giving you common live etc.

Ned.

ps not a very helpful pic but you can see the yellow plastic clips that retain the fuse holders:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/IMG_2041b.jpg

[Edited on 23/10/06 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

RazMan

posted on 23/10/06 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote

I know exactly what you mean Ned - and I asked them about that very one ............. but they said it just has standard connections and no busbar

My brain hurts now

Cheers,
Raz

Aboardman

posted on 23/10/06 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
i have seen one somewhere as well and cannot remember where.
RazMan

posted on 23/10/06 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Found this one at Autosparks - bit pricey at £13 though

Cheers,
Raz

TimC

posted on 23/10/06 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Also want one - don't really fancy the loop,loop,loop,loop technique of wiring the fuse box (not that it actually hurt on my old car.)

TimC

posted on 23/10/06 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaLviNx
failing that daisy chain a wire from one connector to the next creating a bus bar out of wire.

Would the daisy chain need to be 6mm? That's a big wire to fit in a small space (looped.)

RazMan

posted on 23/10/06 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Yes indeed - I did make a daisychain from 6mm wire and it is doesn't fit into the moulding very well.

I then tried forming the connectors still on the roll. This was a bit more successful but I have to wonder if the whole thing will handle enough power as the amount of connection metal is quite small in places Rescued attachment fusebox.jpg
Rescued attachment fusebox.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

RazMan

posted on 23/10/06 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
. Rescued attachment crimp connectors.jpg
Rescued attachment crimp connectors.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

Confused but excited.

posted on 23/10/06 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Yes indeed - I did make a daisychain from 6mm wire and it is doesn't fit into the moulding very well.

I then tried forming the connectors still on the roll. This was a bit more successful but I have to wonder if the whole thing will handle enough power as the amount of connection metal is quite small in places

Why not just solder the 6mm to the strip, to beef up the current carrying capacity?

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

RazMan

posted on 23/10/06 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaLviNx

For a wire daisy chain I would remove ALL the sheathing and solder the bare wire and bend the wire neatly into a bus bar

I think that is what I will do as the way the connectors are pressed from the strip, the metal narrows down considerably in places. The wire will obviously handle it better.

Cheers,
Raz

MkIndy7

posted on 23/10/06 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Don't foget that over a short length a smaller wire will take the same current, its only over a longer length that the voltage drop comes into effect and the cable size need to be increased.

In real terms i'd say over such a short length the wire needs to be little bigger than the fuse itself... although obviousley the bigger the better!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.